LEO forum dialogue on MBs

I think this is why I don't get stopped cause I rarely go past 20 never mind past 25 and I go even slower on the trails.
But this stereotype that motoredbike riders are gun toting drug selling hoodlims by these cops is pretty disturbing to me.

I agree LP. 100% Most of us including myself do NOT intend any criminal activity.

I'm riding a motored bike for the purposes of................

1. Saving Fuel and Money due to lower fuel costs and no insurance payments or registration fees ($2.00 gas lasts 1 - 3 days @ 100MPG)
2. MUCH Lower fluid and lube costs compared to a car (only need 0.6 quart of oil for a complete oil change monthly, and a can of WD-40)
3. Avoiding auto accidents, and the STRESS and DANGERS of driving a car or motorcycle in traffic and in town
4. Avoiding COSTLY auto repairs and maintenance costs
5. Able to ride on the sidewalk and go more places than any car or motorcycle
6. Getting more enjoyment of life by being in the open around nature, instead of being enclosed in a car.
7. Meeting new people and socializing
8. Being able to ride faster and farther than a bicycle alone
9. Riding without getting sweaty or dehydrated
10. Pollutes environment much less than a car due to less gas used and little to no wasted or leaking fluids, and cleaner exhaust because of small 4-cycle engine.
11. Dependability - if something goes wrong, or I run out of fuel, over 90% of the time I can still make it home and never get stranded because I can pedal, and get flat-free foam for my tires, unlike a car or motorcycle which can get stranded and cause you to have a LONG walk!
12. Because I want to!!!!

Those reasons are NOT against ANY law, and that's why I ride.

Only 25mph is rediculous however, because I find myself going faster than that from time to time to avoid crowds of cars when crossing roads and intersections. Also it's harder to ride and avoid cars when you are going really slow. Also going faster than 25mph keeps you safe from DOG BITES!

Last edited:
Don't forget, too, that it's entirely possible to give the police those visual clues that say, "I'm just a regular guy. You don't need to worry about me." Ride as though you are part of traffic, not a hindrance. Respect red lights. Show the peds proper consideration.

Also, it doesn't hurt to look the part. I wear a helmet, gloves, reflective vest, knee pads. I even wear a weight belt for protection of kidneys and lower back. It's under the vest, probably not obvious. But someone who took a close look could figure it out.
I just don't look like a drug or gun runner. I'm clearly a commuter going to and from work. (And loving every minute of it, by the way) I've encountered no hostility at all from the police. They're mostly friendly. Indifferent at worst.

Perhaps they've already worked all of this out. In the non-motorized world there are different bicyclists with different "profiles". When they see a spandexed, lance armstrong wannabe in a suburban neighborhood, they probably don't spend any time wondering if he's carrying any kind of contraband or breaking into businesses.

I have motored past the local constabulary at speeds in excess of 35 mph in Indiana. Indiana law is what was being discussed and yes, the limit is 25 mph to not be a motorcycle. I have never bothered to ghost pedal- look at my bike and tell me if any cop would by that.

However- I ride out in the country and in, at most, suburban areas. I try to avoid busy roads altogether. There may be a more direct route, but it is safer to be on less traveled roads. Also, even if my top speed can move close to traffic, my acceleration does not, so because the world does not revolve around me, I prefer not to make people avoid me. I'll stick to the road less traveled.

Further, I am 37 (like it or not, it makes a difference) and always wear a helmet. The police are not going to waste time on me. I make as few ripples as possible and stay out of the way- and I do not have to explain myself.

Back