Life Threatening BBR 10star mag wheels

I think there is a much more intense physics lesson to be learned here in this than your referrences to just basic verticle and horizontal "flex"

Radial compliance, which is when a bicycle wheel is able to deform in the vertical plane as you hit a bump or land and drop.

Lateral stiffness, which is a wheel’s lack of flex from side to side under cornering loads,

Or even torsional stiffness, which is the "wind up" a wheel can get under a really hard run

However, I am not going to play "Professor Damien" teaching The Basics of Physics, Room 101 this evening...lol.
thats what im saying mags have no flex from vertical on the bumps. they are solid but the side to side flex is where the mags flex and thats not safe

So my test used a thick piece of plastic that was the same length of one of the mag spokes. I laid tape on the face of the plastic with no creases. I then bent and released the plastic a little bit at a time until a creased showed up in the tape. To my amazement the crease finally showed up at a crazy 20mm from center. That my friends is stupid crazy flex. so not safe
View attachment 206283View attachment 206284View attachment 206285View attachment 206287
Clever way to test that!
I heard people complained that the bike felt like it was shaking around turns, that's pretty bad flex!

It is more flex than I guessed it would be. No more mags for this guy. ill put them on my other bike that is lighter and just a putt around bike
They are really cool looking, but not worth the risk. I'd trust the tri's if I wasn't so heavy, but the multiple spokes suck, they would be fine if they were made high quality.

Your particular build would be...ugly with Tri's.

o my test used a thick piece of plastic that was the same length of one of the mag spokes. I laid tape on the face of the plastic with no creases. I then bent and released the plastic a little bit at a time until a creased showed up in the tape.
I love your usage of the latest in "scientific" instrumentation...lol...lol.

I love your usage of the latest in "scientific" instrumentation...lol...lol.
Everything around you is a resource. You know me and my thinking. What things around me can I used to test this? Or to make a part. On the fly too. I def dont fall short in the problem solving department.lol

All I could find was a 6 spoke mag rim for my Schwinn clone. Was super expensive too. Hope it will be alright.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
They are really cool looking, but not worth the risk. I'd trust the tri's if I wasn't so heavy, but the multiple spokes suck, they would be fine if they were made high quality.

Your particular build would be...ugly with Tri's.
Yes I love the look of my mags but not the look of me after a shattered mag.
Saftey before swagger. gonna get a set of heavy spoked wire rims. these are the 2 im looking at. leaning tward the first set because they are already black and they use 10gauge spokes
Screenshot_20240119_222805_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240119_222851_Chrome.jpg

Back