Low Power Trouble

No, I don't feel any drag. If by 4 stroking you mean my motor, then no, I have a 2 stroke. I replaced the spark plug and my other bike is using the same fuel and it's running just fine. I replaced the wires and I checked the mag.

Sounds like you're not far from me at all, if you would want any help with it just let me know!

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to think I was talking about a 4 stroke motor. Our 2-stroke motors can do something called "4-stroking" in which the engine only "fires" once every 2 revolutions instead of once with every revolution. It will cause major power loss and even worse fuel mileage. Did you check your spark plug color? you want like a chocolate tan color that is dry, not wet. Avoid any white on the plug at all costs. If it's 4 stroking, your getting to rich of a fuel to air ratio. You would need to lean it out. Also, the jet that came with the new motor kit may be larger. Try swapping out the jets using your old one in place of the new one. Check those things and get back to me, i'll be able to help you further from there!

Sounds like you're not far from me at all, if you would want any help with it just let me know!

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to think I was talking about a 4 stroke motor. Our 2-stroke motors can do something called "4-stroking" in which the engine only "fires" once every 2 revolutions instead of once with every revolution. It will cause major power loss and even worse fuel mileage. Did you check your spark plug color? you want like a chocolate tan color that is dry, not wet. Avoid any white on the plug at all costs. If it's 4 stroking, your getting to rich of a fuel to air ratio. You would need to lean it out. Also, the jet that came with the new motor kit may be larger. Try swapping out the jets using your old one in place of the new one. Check those things and get back to me, i'll be able to help you further from there!

If you would be willing to help, that would be great!

Don't worry, haha! It's probably my fault because I'm not that good with motors. I know a few things, but not many. The spark plug looks fine, in fact I tried replacing it with a new one. Also, the gas ratio is fine. I actually put the old carb on just to test it, and nothing happened. Could anything cause the motor itself to not function properly(Tried adjusting the clutch)? It's the same exact one as my old one, except new obviously. That's why I'm having trouble understanding why it's not working as well.

If you would be willing to help, that would be great!

Don't worry, haha! It's probably my fault because I'm not that good with motors. I know a few things, but not many. The spark plug looks fine, in fact I tried replacing it with a new one. Also, the gas ratio is fine. I actually put the old carb on just to test it, and nothing happened. Could anything cause the motor itself to not function properly(Tried adjusting the clutch)? It's the same exact one as my old one, except new obviously. That's why I'm having trouble understanding why it's not working as well.

Absolutely, id be more than happy to lend you a hand. The only things I can think of would be:

Clutch star nut not properly adjusted
Left and Right side clutch bearings not lubricated causing serious drag.

Besides those two other things, i'd have to test run it or see it running to troubleshoot it further.

A way to test the spark to see if it's strong would be put your rear tire up somehow, pull your plug and hook it up to the boot and start spinning the pedals to see how good of a spark its giving off.

Dumb question but, is your white wire touching ground at all? If it is, It could be robbing power going to your cdi, basically creating a short and causing kind of a temporary kill switch. If you're using the white wire, you need something 3 watts or lower that draws less than 6 volt, or it too will rob your spark.

Something else you can try (I haven't done this myself so bear warning) is hooking up your white wire with the blue going to the input wire to your cdi.

If your spark is extremely weak, it would effectively use both wires for spark causing much higher voltage.

Beware if you do this though, as it has the potential to literally catch your cdi on fire due to such high voltage.

Does the motor bog down at all when you give it WOT from a stopped position? Or while you have the clutch engaged and slam on WOT does it bog?

Based on everything you've tried, it could be a defective engine, but seeing that you can get it started and it runs at all seems to point in the direction of something not being properly lubed up.

Something else you can try (I haven't done this myself so bear warning) is hooking up your white wire with the blue going to the input wire to your cdi.

If your spark is extremely weak, it would effectively use both wires for spark causing much higher voltage.

Beware if you do this though, as it has the potential to literally catch your cdi on fire due to such high voltage.

Does the motor bog down at all when you give it WOT from a stopped position? Or while you have the clutch engaged and slam on WOT does it bog?

Based on everything you've tried, it could be a defective engine, but seeing that you can get it started and it runs at all seems to point in the direction of something not being properly lubed up.

I will definitely try that! What does WOT mean? Sorry about that.

You asked earlier if the bike dragged and I said no. I went and tested it and yes, it does drag somewhat.

WOT means Wide Open Throttle. Just means full throttle, instead of needing to type the whole thing out haha. Sorry for the confusion, but if the bike drags, it's going to be either bearing related, the chain is to tight, the clutch isn't fully disengaged or engaged or finally, your brakes are rubbing.

Now, when you give it wide open throttle, does it bog down first and then rev high? Or is it instant when you full throttle it doesn't bog and goes straight to high rev?

Forgot to mention, when you go to WOT, make sure your choke is completely off. Let it warm up a minute or two, take choke off (tab down) and then give it WOT, if it bogs, it means your mixture of air and fuel is to rich. You'll either need to move the little clip inside the carb up, or if its up the whole way, you'll need a smaller jet. You can put some solder inside the jet and drill it out smaller, but the better option is always go just get a smaller jet.

Smaller jet = less fuel, which in turn means no more bogging.

Just make sure if you do any of these things to reduce the amount of fuel, to always check your spark plug for any white (signs of to lean) as this can cause your engine to seize up. A lean engine will run great at first, lots of power, instant throttle reaction, but after a tiny bit it will seize.

Just keep that in mind, always check your plug!!

Forgot to mention, when you go to WOT, make sure your choke is completely off. Let it warm up a minute or two, take choke off (tab down) and then give it WOT, if it bogs, it means your mixture of air and fuel is to rich. You'll either need to move the little clip inside the carb up, or if its up the whole way, you'll need a smaller jet. You can put some solder inside the jet and drill it out smaller, but the better option is always go just get a smaller jet.

Smaller jet = less fuel, which in turn means no more bogging.

Just make sure if you do any of these things to reduce the amount of fuel, to always check your spark plug for any white (signs of to lean) as this can cause your engine to seize up. A lean engine will run great at first, lots of power, instant throttle reaction, but after a tiny bit it will seize.

Just keep that in mind, always check your plug!!

It goes straight to high rev. I have noticed however, when I go down hills that lead onto a flat road, I keep a lot of my speed with the throttle held in. But if I let the throttle off, then try to get that speed back without that hill, I can't. I know what you must be thinking, but the flat road is really long. That's how I know the speed isn't temporary.

One last thing, when I start the motor up, I hear a small popping noise. It's not constant, it just happens when I start it up each day. To better explain, if I was riding and stalled, then I started the motor back up, I wouldn't hear it. It only happens when it hasn't been started for a while.

Also, my plug looks fine.

Thanks for all of the help so far! It's greatly appreciated!

Yes, that is indeed fast. But the problem is that the bike has low power. In Pennsylvania, (the area where I live anyways) there is a lot of hills. I just want to go for a cruise without putting too much work into it. Yes, I like to pedal from time to time, but sometimes I just want to relax.

By the way, I think you might be experiencing a problem as well. Your bike should go well over that.
Where do you live in Pa?

Back