Magneto Generator Project

Chicken

Local time
5:25 PM
Ever since I built my motorized bike, I’ve been messing with the white wire trying to hook a small light to it. I eventually gave up cuz it kept on killing the engine.

Instead of robbing power from the spark plug’s magneto, I decided to make my own generator out of some wire (from an old motor) and thin sheet metal.

After all that, much to my disappointment, I only got .32 volts out of it. Is there something I did wrong? Was the wire too thin? Did I ground it incorrectly? I’d really like this thing to work. Hope the pictures help.

thanks in advance for your replies
-Sean

Pardon for asking, but what exactly do you mean by sandwich? And why is it that you should prevent current forming in the base?
Eddy current create heat, instead of using the energy to make electrons move. And sandwiching prevents or at least reduces the energy wasted. Look how the stator coil arms are or how the magneto is layered, thats what i mean by sandwiching. Those layers prevent an eddy currents from forming in the base of the coil.

Eddy current create heat, instead of using the energy to make electrons move. And sandwiching prevents or at least reduces the energy wasted. Look how the stator coil arms are or how the magneto is layered, thats what i mean by sandwiching. Those layers prevent an eddy currents from forming in the base of the coil.

Oh ok, I see what you mean now. I originally started out by stacking the metal and jb welding them in place, but I reckon this isn’t a good idea cuz it provides a nonconductive barrier between the metal. Should I just use a pin to rivet them together instead?

Rivet, bolt, weld, all works. You are correct with the jb weld. Will form a non conductive layer. There are conductive putty's, but a rivet or small bolt will work well. Just gotta make sure it is grounded to the case well.

Im wanting the same thing as you, lights powered by the motor. No more lithium batts to remember to recharge. Lol. Was gonna figure out how many windings, then i got frustrated with jetted carbs. An well spent last few months looking at saw carbs and trying them. Almost where i wanna be with saw carbs and what style works best for me. Then i will be doing what you are doing. AN MOTORIZED BIKER SAID LET THERE BE LIGHT!!! AN THERE WAS!!!! 😉
Oh ok, I see what you mean now. I originally started out by stacking the metal and jb welding them in place, but I reckon this isn’t a good idea cuz it provides a nonconductive barrier between the metal. Should I just use a pin to rivet them together inste

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Rivet, bolt, weld, all works. You are correct with the jb weld. Will form a non conductive layer. There are conductive putty's, but a rivet or small bolt will work well. Just gotta make sure it is grounded to the case well.

Im wanting the same thing as you, lights powered by the motor. No more lithium batts to remember to recharge. Lol. Was gonna figure out how many windings, then i got frustrated with jetted carbs. An well spent last few months looking at saw carbs and trying them. Almost where i wanna be with saw carbs and what style works best for me. Then i will be doing what you are doing. AN MOTORIZED BIKER SAID LET THERE BE LIGHT!!! AN THERE WAS!!!!
😉

Thanks again for your help :) … ye same here, I was hoping to ditch those batteries. If all goes well, I’ll make sure to inform you guys, but if it doesn’t, I’ll just “laze” out and get the kit as well.

Np yo. Always down to help those whom help themselves. You have a good mind in that head, not many wanna learn skills anymore. If you are one of the younger crowd, you know exactly what i mean when you look at your peers. Lol. These bikes are learning projects. Each bike motor may be the same, but are all different. Just like people, lol.

Np yo. Always down to help those whom help themselves. You have a good mind in that head, not many wanna learn skills anymore. If you are one of the younger crowd, you know exactly what i mean when you look at your peers. Lol. These bikes are learning projects. Each bike motor may be the same, but are all different. Just like people, lol.
Yep! I definitely consider myself "weird", standing out from the crowd… but anyways, I just rewinded (or is it rewound🤔) the coil. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the drill to hold the base, so I clamped it to a vise and wrapped the wire by hand, making sure to get a tight fitting. Overall I did around 170 wraps. The wire I used measured to be 14 feet long.

I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate me "vrooming" my engine in the midst of the night, so I’ll test it out tmr and let you guys know the results.

Yep! I definitely consider myself "weird", standing out from the crowd… but anyways, I just rewinded (or is it rewound🤔) the coil. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the drill to hold the base, so I clamped it to a vise and wrapped the wire by hand, making sure to get a tight fitting. Overall I did around 170 wraps. The wire I used measured to be 14 feet long.

I don’t think my neighbors would appreciate me "vrooming" my engine in the midst of the night, so I’ll test it out tmr and let you guys know the results.
Oh they will love it!! Just tell 'em " IT'S ALIVE, IT'S ALIVE * cackle like an slightly upset scientist*" make sure you have large machines buzzing and clicking and a few jacobs ladders here and there, running full blast. It'll be ok. Lol jk

Back