Major Desing Project for school, help would be appreciated if possible

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Nolann, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Nolann

Nolann New Member

Hey,

Im in year 12 and am needing help with my project.

My project is that i am making a trike with engine assist, would anybody be able to help my in building the back end of a trike ?

2. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Do you have to actually build the motor trike or just design it?
    Do you have a motor yet? If not, an electric hub motor would be easiest. Next easiest would be a gas friction motor.

3. Nolann

Nolann New Member

I've got to build the trike which sucks because im limited on time?
    I have an 80cc motor so that isnt a problem but could you reccomend any tips to building the back end of the trike?

4. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

5. gothicguy64

gothicguy64 Member

6. ---- 10 Drager ----

---- 10 Drager ---- New Member

Installing a ready to fit trike kit sounds like the go, but your teacher might not approve if you "really" didnt make it, just steal the kits idea if thats the case -, dont make the wheels too far apart cause of flex , make SURE you use a steel frame... alloy explodes with MBs... a trike would do it quicker.
    Little helps still help.

7. ---- 10 Drager ----

If you do make the rear wheels width far apart make sure the axels well strong, wide rear ends help cornering at speed.

8. ---- 10 Drager ----

Oh ah one last...
    steels good also cause of weldability for any time saving dodgeness, and......
    MAYBE??? a lazy wheel?
    stop shuddering around crners.
    Youd either have to go real lame slow around em or in full noise, agro cat like readyness knowing it'll step out a bit, like a lame shudderd drift.

9. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Got a some questions for you.

1) Are you fixated on building a Delta trike (2 rear, one front wheel), or are you open to making it a tadpole trike (1 rear, 2 front wheels)?

2) If it is to be a Delta trike, do you want power to both rear wheels, or is one sufficient (possibly one pedal powered, the other engine powered)?

3) Are you aware of the various advantages/disadvantages of the principal different geometry classes of each type? Specifically, tadpoles typically corner a LOT BETTER than do deltas, but a lot of that can be offset by a crank-forward delta design.

Personally, I'd suggest a tadpole design with either a rack mount or a behind the seat mount for the engine. Unless you are planning on a rear suspension the geometry for design is simple and straight forward - even with suspension, it isn't all that complex.

Feel free to ask questions. I'd suggest you start a thread in the Trike Forum, maybe titled "My Design Project".

10. chainmaker

chainmaker Member

11. Nolann

Nolann New Member

"I'd suggest you start a thread in the Trike Forum" mind linking me? ima super newb to this

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

13. Dave C

Dave C Member

This might be a solution to the "peg-leg" effect of a solid axel, kinda spendy but it would do the job:helmet:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_35768_35768

The axels could be machined for a proper fit to the wheels. Dual disk brakes on the back axel could be fitted, too, 1 on each side of the axel, would add about $90 or less to the axel. You wouldn't need hydralic brakes, dual mechanical brakes would haul this bike to a stop in no time.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200323386_200323386

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_24404_24404

Two examples of brakes, I think for the price difference the Airhart brakes are the best but the other set would stop you nearly as well:cool2:

14. kansasmike

kansasmike New Member

great info

Looks like a lot of good info there.
    From everyone

15. Nolann

Nolann New Member

thanks for this :) any idea as where buy one?