making some changes to my lowrider

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by motorpsycho, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. motorpsycho

    motorpsycho Active Member

    well, I kind of got tired of the lowrider look of my stingray so i decided to take it a whole different direction.
    before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    I got rid of the ape hangers, shortened the clutch and throttle cables, and removed the headlight. I added a caliper brake to the rear wheel because i'll be riding it kind of laying down (feet will be on bmx pegs on the rear axle). I have to make a new bracket to re-mount the rear fender, and i'm currently making new exhaust for it (chrome expansion chamber with a custom chrome muffler). I want to lower the front of the seat more, which will require chopping about an inch out of the top of the frame's seat tube. I cut 2 coils out of the spring in the springer front end to lower it (this got it about an inch lower in the front). I might cut off another coil to drop the front a little more, but i don't want to make it hard to steer. I don't want to get that front wheel out there too far.
    how it looks as of right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Yes, i test rode it yesterday before i took the exhaust off, and it is really easy to ride. even tho i kind of lay on the seat, it's comfortable and the pegs on the rear axle make it so my knees aren't in my face. adding the caliper brake to the rear wheel is one of the best things i've done so far. it works so much better than the coaster brake, and with my feet off the pedals, i'll have to be able to stop it somehow. I just have to weld the muffler to the chamber, and then i can re-mount it to the engine. I was going to try and make dual pipes, but there's not enough room under the frame.
     
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

  2. motorpsycho

    motorpsycho Active Member

    updated pics.
    I got the rear fender mounted, chopped an inch off of the frame's seat post tube to lower the seat in the front and i made a speedometer.
    i used a chrome headlight that I had for a mounting cup for the speedometer.
    I mounted the headlight backwards (so the lens faces the rider). Made a new lens out of a c.d. case, and mounted my scwhinn electric speedo inside of it.
    I made a mooneyes speedo face to hide everything on the speedo except for the speed.
    it's not perfect when you look at it up close, but from a few feet away it looks really cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  3. motorpsycho

    motorpsycho Active Member

    I wasn't happy with the first version of the gauge face that I made because it was pretty pixelated. I had to shrink the logo to make it fit, which distorted it quite a bit. besides that, the window that i cut in the paper face to show the speed wasn't cut very straight.
    the original version:
    [​IMG]
    I made a new gauge face which cameout a lot nicer, and I also made a new lens that's a lot clearer than the original one.
    The new version:
    [​IMG]

    going to get the exhaust welded to gether wednesday night, and get it put back on the bike.....then it will be time for a test run.
    I might make a fake parachute pack to go on the back of the sissy bar, but I don't want to add too much stuff and over do it. I'm still contemplating the fake parachute pack for now.
     
  4. big kountry 75

    big kountry 75 New Member

    cool lil scooter
     
Loading...