MBs... a treatment for chronic pain?!?

RedBaronX

Local time
5:17 PM
Some of you have been following (and helping) me with getting my bike finally running-- got it to finally start and run yesterday, and today I took it for three 20-30 minute rides throughout the day...

You know, I don't know if it is from simple satisfaction of building something and having it (finally) work, or if the vibrations from the bike are helping (NOTHING NAUGHTY!!) but my chronic pain is WAY lower than it was even just earlier today...

I have fibromyalgia, which makes my entire back and shoulders spasm so much it's sometimes difficult to breathe. Earlier today, I was laid out on the couch with a heating pad almost dreading trying to ride the bike because of how much pain I was in, but I did some stretching, saddled up, and went for a ride.

When I got home, while I felt a little rubbery from the vibration of the bike, I also felt-- taller. Whenever I wake up from a restful night's sleep, I always feel "taller"... my back is relaxed enough that I am standing up straight I would assume.

While it might be far-fetched that the bike is actually helping, I guess-- and hope-- that it's possible that the vibration is helping my muscles relax. It would be like riding a massage to work!

Yeah, that sounds real naughty :devilish:

Working on and riding motorized bicycles is a form of exercise of body and mind. If riding in traffic, it is strenuous mental exercise to be alert at all times. I had a split-secon brain fade and came awfully close to the curb going 35mph.:sick:

There is SOME physical activity if pedal-assisting, or pedalling off from a start.

There is also some physical exercise if you need to carry or push your bike upstairs.

Unsure what benefit the constant vibration offers. However, when I'm done riding, I feel tired.

Hmmm, might have something there. I'm not familiar with fibromyalgia, but very familiar with scoliosis. I have a vibrating chair insert that aides me to relax the resulting muscle spasms on a bad day.

I don't know squat about back pain, as I've never had to deal with it, even though I have severe scoliosis (my right arm and shoulder weigh about three times what the left weighs). I do know about diabetic neuropathy, and the pain that causes in my legs. My trike was great for that - I always felt better after a ride for an hour or two.

So, yeah, the vibration is a GOOD thing, in some ways.

like I said, it could be just the relief and satisfaction of finally getting my bike running or it could be the actual vibration, but riding my bike made me feel physically better.

Fibro isn't "back pain" like from an injury... I've had days where it feels like my skin is trying to explosively peel away from my body... or the muscles around my rib cage are in such severe spasm that it hurts to breathe... I would not be surprised if the "high pitched" vibration acts like a massage of sorts

I have also found some relief from back pain. Surgery is not an option with a 10% success rate for an extra vertebrae attached to the pelvis on one side.

My HT bike does not vibrate much. I think it is the bumpy roads that help. Here the roads are so bad I have the tires deflated to 30# pressure.

A relaxing ride in the country gives piece of mind... Maybe that is a factor? (when I am not dodging cagers)

I like to take a ride out in the country, especially on warm, sunny days. Where I go to school, there are a ton of twisty country roads so it can either be relaxing or exciting depending on what I'm in for.

The vibrations certainly make my hands numb, but aside from that I never really notice any positive effects lol. Fortunately, I don't have any severe chronic pain so I am not a good judge however.

Back