Michigan riders?

Discussion in 'Races, Events & Group Rides' started by barrynof, Feb 14, 2009.

1. barrynof

barrynof New Member

any michigan riders out there?

2. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

Yes, a few of us are riding in this weather.

3. barrynof

barrynof New Member

ideas on where to get started?

I live NW of Detroit. Any ideas of where to go to get ideas or get started in this process? i am new to all of this.

4. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

I live where Baseline Rd runs into Lake MI. Do you have a bike that you want to motorize or are you starting from scratch?

5. MotoMagz

MotoMagz Member

You are in the right place to get answers to ?'s you might have. I'm my self have had 2 and 4 strokes frame mounts.The Grubee 4 stroke kit was the one for me.Good luck,MotoMagz

6. Simonator

Simonator Guest

Grand rapids here. I ride all year round.

7. barrynof

barrynof New Member

schwinn frontier

my bike is a schwinn frontier. i have had it about 12 years.

8. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

So its a hardtail mountain bike, that is a good type of bike to convert to motorized. If you want a good quality kit that will last a long time, look at the:

GEBE system ($600) http://www.bikeengines.com/ - made in Michigan

or the Titan ($400) http://www.thatsdax.com/ .

If you want something cheap that will last a summer, go for a cheap 2 stroke ($125), see sponsors on this page.

9. barrynof

barrynof New Member

opinion on wilderness electric hub motor

skyl4rk-
    i noticed on a search that you had a post on a hybrid you were building. in the post you mentioned that you had a wilderness hub motor on the bike. what are your thoughts on using this kind of motor? i am going to be using this bike to go back and forth to work about 10 miles round trip. which engine is easier to install? gas or the electric hub motor.

10. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

You can ride more places with the electric hubmotor, like bike paths, sidewalk, anywhere you can ride a bike. It is quiet and most people will not know you have power assist. The range is limited, 10 miles is about all you will get with lead acid batteries. Lead acid batteries are heavy and you will only get one or two seasons out of them. There are LiFePo batteries out there that will give you long range but they are expensive. They are lightweight and are really the best choice if you go electric. You are probably looking at $1200 for a quality electric kit with a LiFePo battery.

Gas motors have no limit to range but you have to ride like you are driving a vehicle, stay off the sidewalks, bike paths are questionable whether you can get away with riding on them. Unless you get a moped sticker, gas bikes are technically not legal though they seem to be tolerated. Gas bikes are loud, faster and more fun. Gas bikes are cheaper to get started. Gas bikes are stinky and must live outside or in the garage.

I would say the installation is about the same either way, maybe more difficult for electric because you need to build a battery mount and you need to know the basics of electricity to put the thing together. Connectors and switches are important. Gas bikes require frequent attention to chain tension and fastener tightness.

If you are looking to commute on a regular basis, I would suggest the Titan as relatively easy to install, strong construction, reliable and fun to ride.

11. loquin

loquin Active Member

Come now...:whistling: No need to make blanket statements like:

"If you want something cheap that will last a summer, go for a cheap 2 stroke."

"Gas bikes are stinky and must live outside or in the garage"

What gas bikes have you had? Both my Mitsubishi 2 stroke, and Honda 4 stroke lived in the garage & didn't stink it up... And, while the cheap 2 strokes do have a shorter life expectancy (on average) than do higher quality motors, some of them do last a long time. We've had many reports of HTs lasting years/thousands of miles.

:)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  12. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Guest

Sorry to offend the Happy Times riders, I just was not impressed by the build quality of the motors, in particular the metal is soft. Its just an opinion, I don't think much of Happy Times. After riding a 4 stroke, I will always recommend a 4 stroke over a HT. However I do respect the Tanaka and Robin type 2 stroke motors although I have not had one.

Regarding the stinky aspect, I just meant that you can't really bring a gas bike in the house, where the electrics can be brought inside the house. Not that I'm allowed to bring bikes into my house.

Just one mans opinion.

13. Simonator

Simonator Guest

I know what you mean about HT's. They are all made real cheap. Sometimes you get lucky and get a good one. Other times something might break right away. It is rolling the dice.

I keep my gas bike in my apartment. I have no other choice. This place looks like a garage. :grin5:

14. Caplain

Caplain New Member

hoy ahoy there! hailing from dearborn where apparently the cops don't give a flying flip about my bike to the point where they'll wave at me and stuff even if i'm speeding. thanks to all those hard drug users keeping them too busy to bother me :D