Motored bike vs moped/scooter

fasteddie911

Local time
4:58 AM
Hello,
I'm new here but been browsing for some time now. Anyways, I've been looking for another form of transportation that is low cost and efficient, and I have been looking at motored bikes as well as mopeds/scooters. What would you guys suggest? Moped/scooter is more expensive, but can be modified more, not that I need to modify it, but its nice to know that the option of going faster than 30mph is there(lots of hills also). it seems to me that a motored bike would also be a little easier to disassemble for a thief if I decided to park it somewhere. Otherwise, I see no difference, one has pedals, the other doesn't. What do you guys think? Has anyone traded a moped/scooter for a motored bike or vice versa?

Hello and welcome to MBc.
I always did quite a bit of cycling so the move was natural, like getting older.
No trades but opted for one over the other, MBs over scooters.
A decent scooter in my reckoning is gonna run around $2K, Honda or Yamaha.
I personally wouldn't be bothering much with the new crop of Chinese scooters, at least not as they are yet anyway.
Buy a scooter from a dealer and that's where you take it for maintenance.
Build a MB and maintain it yourself. Got to love tinkering, if not pay the difference. I always maintained my own bicycles anyway. Best part if a MB breaks down, pedal it home. Scooter breaks down, what do you do?
There have been a few members here who logged out and went the scooter route. Got tired of tinkering perhaps.
All depends what you want and what you like.

I didn't want to get a MC license and tag, so the motorized bike worked better for me.
If you do not like to tinker and experiment, the scooter/moped will serve you better.

I like to tinker when I want to, but not because I have to due to breakage or constant problems, not sure if that's the case with motorized bikes. has anyone had problems getting their bike ripped off when they park and lock their bikes? thanks for the great thoughts!

if you live in a town where someone will cut the lock on your bike and steal it,then they also might shoot you and take your wallet and shoes,so you might want to move to a new town.

i was talking more about someone stealing the engine since its only bolted in and fairly accessible.

Stealing a competently mounted bike motor would be very time consuming. I haven't heard of that happening.

mine has many mounts and extra straps and would take a while to get it off the bike and dont forget its also hooked to a chain and that would also have to be removed.theres also gas,throttle and clutch lines hooked to it too.

The biggest difference between a MB and a moped is overall cost and ongoing cost. The moped will cost more to purchase, and it will cost more to keep on the road because mopeds require insurance, yearly registration, and of course the maintenance.

There are other subtle differences which I think give the motorized bike a better choice over a moped. You can use bike paths with a MB as long as you keep that motor off. You can park the MB just about anywhere you can a bicycle. If you pedal assist the MB regularly, you will get a physical workout that's good for you. Moped pedals are really just vestigual devices that are not meant to be used for longer than getting the moped off the line. You can swap out motors on a MB much easier than you can a moped. You'll have more tire choices on a MB. You will also have lots of bicycle choices that you can motorize.

Back