My hybrid/tribrid

He certainly does,getting the hub motor to work with all the electrical interference generated by the HT CDI is no mean feat!.I think he ought to document all he did if that is not too onerous.There is a cautionary tale here,if you contemplate a similar 3 phase system where the motor's 'brains' are in the controller,BEWARE!!,you may be jumping into an electronic quagmire,that you won't have the smarts needed to extricate yourself from.This type of system,that relies on low power control circuitry (micro processor, Hall effect positional markers) is vulnerable to both RF fields and magnetic fields (inductive effects).These circuits are prob. not shielded at all (normally don't have to).Some hub motors might be less susceptible,who knows?.But "look before you leap",or be prepared for trouble if you intend to use both motors at the same time.

I tried many configurations. One was to move the controller from the very rear of the bike and shorten all the wiring. Did nothing at all to help. Neither did scattering ferrite cores everywhere. Moving things around did not one bit of good, so I doubt that a rear hub would help either. This is an extremely noisy environment, but I will wager that if you shield the sparkplug wire, ground it to the frame and use a resistor plug all will be well. If not, add shielding to the power wires from the battery to the controller and connect it to the sparkplug shield.

I had an electronic engineer (dad) advising me as I experimented. He was as baffled as I at the things I discovered. Just did not make sense, but now that it works flawlessly, I am through analyzing it and letting the hair I pulled out grow back. :)

These things NEVER make complete sense in my experience,it can drive you completely nuts,it's like an alchemist trying to turn lead into gold.Even if you do succeed you're usually not exactly sure why.It's a real electrical circus with these HT's.

Back