My Orange Coast Chopper Build

finally i figured out what you were talking about. hey the stuff you got in the making sounds real cool. i run micargi chopper similar to nirve switchblade. i hope you can make something to help me mount my engine on the bike and ofcourse to use the same chain. your stuff sound real cool and well desgned too. genius man!

Hey,
Just thought I'd drop a note.

I am going to be offering up some cool stuff very soon for the
Stingray Chopper Camp.

One will be these Disc Bake Adaptors for Stingray Front & Rear Wheels. Another will be a very cool dual independent /unison brake lever. And then also something no one else has ever offered before. A Billet Aluminum Clamshell Isolated Motor Mount / Built In Jack Shaft Kit For Stingrays. The kit will have a 5 speed freewheel, derailer, grip shifter, dual independent brake lever, and disk brakes. Just as important for going down the road is STOPPING. And having good stopping power is very important especially when you add 5 speeds, oh and an expansion chamber exhaust. They will be offered as well.

I'd like to get some feedback on this....maybe I'll start a new thread.

'BrettMavriK

hey brett.....i have a frame where the lower half is very similar to the wcc and i think your jackshaft idea will work perfect .....i got rims with disc brake mounts and the chain from the pedals clear the 3inch rear tire no prob......i can probly build the same thing you have on your bike i just need to know how you did it lol

i already have the welder

i also have a spoiler with a pocket bike motor on it that doesnt have the pedals anymore but your jackshaft would probly fix that problem too

not sure if you started another thread about this or not

edit: i also think the jackshaft idea would work for any bike not just the stingray choppers

Last edited:
Kewl,
What type of frame is it? I'm getting alot of response for jackshaft kits on various chopper frames. Problem is, every frame is different. I am focusing on an OCC Stingray clamshell isolated motor mount / jackshaft combo.
(say that real fast) Also there will be 5 speed freewheels, derailers, and grip shifters available. I am building a website.
BUT.....As far as the Schwinn Spoiler goes...You're In Luck!!!
Jim got bit by the "Chopper Bug" (I wonder if I had anything to do with that)
He has just purchased 2 Spoilers and is designing the ultimate motor mount/jackshaft kit for them. Maybe he'll chime in here. There are some seriously kewl goodies on the way for choppers. One of them will be a stand alone jack shaft with....get this....
Dual Independent Adjustable Chain Tension.
This eliminates the problem of the chain length slack/tension tug-of-war between the two sides. This I think will be standard in all the kits.

'BrettMavriK

hey brett.....i have a frame where the lower half is very similar to the wcc and i think your jackshaft idea will work perfect .....i got rims with disc brake mounts and the chain from the pedals clear the 3inch rear tire no prob......i can probly build the same thing you have on your bike i just need to know how you did it lol

i already have the welder

i also have a spoiler with a pocket bike motor on it that doesnt have the pedals anymore but your jackshaft would probly fix that problem too

not sure if you started another thread about this or not

edit: i also think the jackshaft idea would work for any bike not just the stingray choppers

Last edited:
it started life as a shamu chopper but after copping 4" off the forks , removing all the white stickers , new bars and seat ....its now this

the cranks are already offset some for the 3" tires but i dont know if its far enuff over to clear the engine

i could probly make the jackshaft myself ....i just need to know how to make the shaft and where to get the sprockets

and my spoiler already has a pocket bike motor on it so the motor mount/jaskshaft combo might not work

and yea i saw jim comment on his spoiler project and i cant wait

Attachments

• pfocc1.jpg
    pfocc1.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
That's a neat bike.
I have a "FatBoy" style bike in the dream stages which will resemble that.

As far as the jackshaft goes, it ain't that easy as slapping on sprockets. Right now I have number 41 sprockets from an industrial supply place that were turned down from 1/4" to 3/32". By the time you get done with all the money spending, machining, problem solving, and what not, it would be better and cheaper to wait for a complete bolt-on stand alone jack shaft kit with all the bugs worked out ready to go. It took me a month of R&D on the jack shaft alone to get it right, and there are still things it needs to make it the best. Now that I know the "what and how", even if I paid myself retail for what's coming, I would save a lot of money.

'BrettMavrik

it started life as a shamu chopper but after copping 4" off the forks , removing all the white stickers , new bars and seat ....its now this

the cranks are already offset some for the 3" tires but i dont know if its far enuff over to clear the engine

i could probly make the jackshaft myself ....i just need to know how to make the shaft and where to get the sprockets

and my spoiler already has a pocket bike motor on it so the motor mount/jaskshaft combo might not work

and yea i saw jim comment on his spoiler project and i cant wait

yea i didnt realize it was that much work.....my tools are limited as well as my cash

but i have plenty of creativity and time

atleast i know what direction i need to go now

Workin' Out The Gremlins.....

I posted this elsewhere, but the developments may help other people in their builds, so I'll post it here as well.

Been addressing the shifter/chain jump problems with the chopper.

First off, I welded in braces from the top rear wheel cage hoop to the bottom and put a top gusset on the pivot tabs. This rid all but a very slight sideways deflection in the pivot action so now it is under control. Next was the chain misalignment issue from the freewheel to the jack shaft sprocket that made the chain want to grind the sprocket and/or jump off completely when in 4th or 5th. I went over to Creative Engineering with an idea for the now dual swing arm chain tensioner/idlers. They needed to be able to push the chain over to be more inline with the jack shaft drive sprocket. The idlers came with an ABS "spur" sprocket that just weren't enough to hold the chain in position because they rode inside the chain. My idea was to have slotted idler wheels to capture the chain on the idler arms. They needed to be deep with a high enough wall so the chain couldn't ride out when they pushed on the sidewall of the chain.
So Jim and I worked toward a solution. Next he grabbed a couple pieces of black ABS plastic and cranked up the lathe after some careful measurement.
The result was awesome. Two ABS idler wheels that looked like they'd really control the chain well. Took it for a test run to see if they'd work. Oh yeah, I also put on a much better derailer.
Bingo!
All 5 gears up and down the dial, no grinding or chain jump. These wheels were the cure for my glitch. If anyone could use these wheels for their setup, give Jim a buzz. They would have a multitude of applications.
Here's some photos of the slotted idler wheels and my other mods'...
Big Thanks, Jimbo!

Attachments

• IMG00621.jpg
    IMG00621.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG00619.jpg
    IMG00619.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 727
  • IMG00620.jpg
    IMG00620.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG00622.jpg