Break In New balanced motor

mrbg

Local time
9:53 AM
I recently changed out my Worn out motor with a 66 balanced motor its been less than a month since delivery. Anyways I had a couple problems chain, sprocket cover that's fixed. It wouldn't run with the old cdi?? So I put on the one that came with it, got it running, but it kinda sputtered alittle, I just figured it's the break in mix and its new. I've run 2 tanks through and have switched to 32:1 mix and the sputter is now a full on bog at 3/4 throttle. I kept an eye on head, intake, exhaust studs nothing came loose, no oil leaks nothing! So I swapped out the speed carb that came with it with my old nt that's jetted right, but the topend bog is still there. Before I start spraying water trying find the airleak. I thought ask about this newer balanced that has a higher compression ratio and a improved speed carb, I've always heard it was junk. Anyhow did they change the magneto and coil?? Why wouldn't my old cdi work on this motor??

I haven't seen everything, but except for the super rat style internal CDIs I have not seen any different types - so far, one size fits all.

An NT 'jetted right' for one engine may not be right for another.

I'm just trying a process of elimination, the old speed carb with fuel lever is junk so I started there because its easy and I didn't have alot time. Tomorrow I'll do a more thorough check with water bottle. I have another magneto and coil. It's been kinda cold out so I feel like working on it. How do you troubleshoot something like that?

if plug is black & idle screw seems way too far in to keep it running, you're probably too rich

Idle is good plug is tan, I'm going to check magneto, coil, plug lead and cap if that looks ok, I'll have to spray with water bottle for airleak. I think it's BS that I have to do this with a brand new motor. I bought another motor from eBay vendor around the same time as this bal motor and I haven't really had any problems with it except the usual stuff cyl studs stretch and idle adjustments, it's a decent motor.

Last edited:
if it has a steel intake, sometimes the finish needs a bit of filing right at the open end - carb should slide on easy

Stock intake with oring, no finish on it with the new speed carb. Tomorrow I'm going to go through the trouble shoot again after I call the place I bought it from to see if there's any typical problems with this latest version.

Back