New Build

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by Torques, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Torques

Torques Guest

Around last April, prior to hiring an attorney my trial and before the beginning of my financial problems, I had a customer pull out of a bike deal. He wanted a Kustom Kruiser Roadster like my prototype. I got a killer deal at the time and I bought it before my customer paid me. My customer changed his mind and we picked up a different bike for him. Anyway, I had the bike in my garage all this time and a motor minus the drive parts (Golden Eagle). I had a 21 speed for sale for months this fall and no one was interested, so I salvaged (cannibalized?) the parts off that bike (drilled the gear ring to fit the Kustom Kruiser Roadster's 10 gauge stock spokes). I have been pretty depressed the last four months and not functioning too well. I finally made myself start this project February 19 and finished it last Friday February 29th. It is for sale on Craigslist. I drove it last Saturday for the first time to the car show here. All I can say is there's a world of difference between 1.2 continuous horsepower at the shaft and 4+ horsepower at the shaft. It seems like building this bike energized me up for a week and a half. I wish I could do this full time. I believe it would help me mentally but people here are mostly talk and interested but not ready to purchase. I had to do lots of different, new things. This build was different than the first one. I had to fabricate an carb intake (elbow) to avoid hitting the GEBE mount. I also set up a new chain tensioner to keep the chain off of the motor. I had to cut a section out of the top of the engine cover (like the first bike), but also had to cut back a couple of the cooling fins just a little for chain clearance. I took the unused rear hub completely apart, cleaned off the stock grease and packed with Mobile 1 synthetic. I did the same to the front hub. I replaced the stock intertubes with thornproof ones and Slimed both of them. It seems to be running nice although I have only rode it two times. Tomorrow I will fix a spare, separate gas tank for backup to the main tank. I will finish off the remaining gas in the tank to verify gas mileage (just curious). It won't be like the four-stroke motor on my other one (212-238 mpg) but I believe it should be well over 100 mpg.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008

2. Hive

Hive Guest

Is one comfy looking ride.

Great place for engine. Out of way and low, away from ears.

Looks easy to make rear tire change as well.

Will it contact road surface?

Would love to see brackets holding it to bike.

Very interesting, indeed.

Ride with pride...
  3. azbill

azbill Active Member

nice stretch !!! :D
    may I suggest a skid plate ?
    again...good looking bike :D
  4. Torques

Torques Guest

Not sure what you mean "brackets holding it to bike". It has a torque strap of my own fabrication that connects it to the center of the frame. The mounting bracket is there too. The stock torque strap is too thin. I know because I broke one on my first bike and the motor moved to the ground, just barely, and almost scrapped. This torque strap is twice as thick.
  5. Hive

Hive Guest

Engine Strap

That is what I meant I guess and what pic shows.

Brain was clutched...

A CF (crank forward) bike as well.

Fun free pedaling?

6. loquin

loquin Active Member

Can't see the pics from work, Torques. ("Forbidden by ratings check")

any chance of you posting the pictures, using the "manage attachments" button ?

(You could ref either the source pics on your hard drive, or the links at photobucket)
  7. kerf

kerf Guest

I do believe you've joined the R460 team, it's a screamer.
  8. Torques

Torques Guest

Ok, I've never done this before, let's see if it works.

Attached Files:

9. loquin

loquin Active Member

That bike looks NICE Torques. Thanks for reposting the pics.

You know, with it stretched like that, you could probably move the motor up so that it rides 'inside' the chain... just add an upper 'tensioner' to raise the upper chain. Of course, the chain guard would also need to be worked on too, and that would be a shame.
  10. Alaskavan

Alaskavan Guest

Another sweet lookin ride Torques. Mounting the engine like you do totally changes/eliminates the hohum rack mount look.
  11. Torques

Torques Guest

I already had seriously considered the higher up position on my first build but came to the conclusion that it wasn't workable. When I studied that idea very carefully, there is absolutely no room for the upper chain there. The engine height puts the upper chain smack dab in the middle. I don't know how you would reroute the drive chain like that with let's say eight inches of deflection. The position now is really ok. It's true, you can't corner as steep to the right as to the left but since I don't have the gas tank under the motor, the cornering situation is like 90 percent better than on my first build before I moved it's gas tank up to under the seat.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2008
  12. Hive

Hive Guest

My Brain Still Clutched.

Okay, I have to ask...

The engine could be racked above rear wheel, from the pics?

I figured the low mount was for the esthetics and now not sure what the reason.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  13. Torques

Torques Guest

I wanted to do something no one has done before. Secondly, I figured with the motor below the axle line, the center of gravity should be lower than the high mount. The handling is better I'm sure with the lower center of gravity. The bike looks cleaner overall without the motor sticking up next to the rear fender. It's also easier to get on when you throw your right leg over the back of the bike to mount it, the motor isn't there for your leg to hit.
  14. beast775

beast775 Guest

great build

i really like this bike!id like to do one also but,my electra rat rod would catch to much attention here.**** it.:shock:
  15. Torques

Torques Guest

Is the rat rod a stretch? If not, the low mounted motor may have clearance problems with the peddles.
  16. Jim H

Jim H Guest

Nice configuration Torques; with the tank under the seat there seems to be plenty more road clearance... I've considered something similar with my stretch as I'm bored with the current look. Nice job! Hope all is well with you, pm if you wanna talk...
  17. spad4me

spad4me Member

That bike is soo nice looking !

Any chance of posting part numbers for the 460? Like clutch numbers, (the zenoha clutch?, 3rd bearing, and sprocket) . As well as the distance for the gebe ring.

I can not spell zenoha and my browsers dictionary is no help !!!!
  18. grndslm

grndslm Guest

Zenoah is spelled like that <--

Chung Yang makes replicas of the Zenoah engines, like the R460. You can also find Chung Yang replacement parts at the GoPed website.
  19. beast775

beast775 Guest

ya shes a stretch,i know i could put one on but i cant due to my police province here,no slack to be already looks like a motorcycle without the tryin to move to a gulf island near me with no faux authoritie figures,even though i dont have a problem here:smile:
  20. Torques

Torques Guest

It could work but I will say for the setup ABOUT the maximum tire size I can see workable now is 2.125. I'm not saying a larger rear tire couldn't be used with the GEBE system. I just haven't experienced those issues yet.