Carby New HT Carby Fitting

Getting there,
Shingles can last up to,12 months, thats 12 months of pain, for no reason, I did not do it, it wasn't me !

However, the show must go on, have sorted the carby by a few mods. on special engine mount brackets I was making for 27" steel frames.
Chain fits ok was my main concern, nearly ready to test this thing, shoulder popped out again, but got the engine bolted on at least.

Attachments

• new HT carby-2 014.jpg
    new HT carby-2 014.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 269
QuadManiac
Is that a remote choke cable i see in that pic?
Yes, comes complete. Good value.

Mountainman
I see that you have that engine mounted with plenty of space now -- nice

yeah if you have the space in the V, raise the engine, but then you have to fabricate another bracket for the rear mount, still working on it when time permits.

Why can't you just put a 5mm spacer between the engine mount and the bike frame? It might mount the engine a little higher on the bike but not enough to make a difference yet allow the carb and air cleaner fit without touching the frame.

Why can't you just put a 5mm spacer between the engine mount and the bike frame? It might mount the engine a little higher on the bike but not enough to make a difference yet allow the carb and air cleaner fit without touching the frame.

Because it has already sheared the rear engine mount studs before when using spacers.
The method I using now is a cradle mount, where you mount the engine on cradle, and mount the cradle to the frame. Slide the cradle up, makes space and tightens the chain at the same time.

Last edited:
Well, I got it running today for a while, before I finished the fabrication on frame cradle.
I runs fine, revved it, has plenty of torque, but could not ride it, more of a bench test while the bike was secured on a stand.
Adjustments on 1 of the 2 screws was impossible, it kept coming loose due to normal engine vibration. The spring inside one of the adjust screws seems too short, therefore not able to keep set on thread.
This screw is the one closest to rear of carby.

Then I did something I knew I should not have done.
With the engine running, I wanted to see if it would smoke the back tyre.
It did, and bent one of the plates of the unfinished cradle. This is actually a good sign, it bent the cradle, not shear the engine mount bolts.Easy to cut another and replace.
The plate is 3mm stainless steel. One more test later and if it bends again then I'll go for the next size thickness.

Also,
Due to the added torque and seemingly better engine performance, I'm sceptical what bike frames will endure in the long run with a 70cc and this
new HT carby.

Attachments

• extent of bent plate.jpg
    extent of bent plate.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 224
  • adjust screw loosens.jpg
    adjust screw loosens.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 227
  • screw spring seems too short.jpg
    screw spring seems too short.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 242
I bought the exact same carby from zbox australia for $65 its great if you want more space get longer bolts
(just long enough to fit another engine spacer and use 2 spacers) then bolt away. or you could do what I did and take it anywhere that can cut part of the manifold off then put it sideways so the whole carby sticks out the side then they can weld it back (they shouldnt charge you anything) this carby is great read my reveiw - http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=16900 the carby is great and is worth buying.

Back