New Member, Stingray, and Legality on the road in Maryland

PeterForDictator

Local time
8:34 AM
Hey I'm new here to the motoredbikes.com forums!

My name is peter, i'm a college student in MD. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my newest ebay purchases, a 66cc (80cc) pk-l80 kit, and schwinn stingray occ (chrome w/orange flames). Motor should get here today, bike, probably tuesday due to memorial day.

So this Barry mount for the schwinn stingrays is pricey... i mean it's a quarter of the price of the bike i'm putting together, anyone have a used one or a custom one they'd be willing to sell me for less $.. say under $30? i mean, it's a piece of metal and some bolts we're talking about here. I will make my own if i have to. really, i'm not complaining.

So Legality on the road is an issue. I understand that there is a category of "custom built motorcycle" or "home made motor cycle" for registering your bike and getting a VIN number. Being over 50cc i will be required to tag it and have insurance to drive this on the road legally -- which i fully intend to do. If anyone has experience in maryland or elsewhere in this area and would like to be of assistance, please contact me in PM or in forum.

THANKS!:helmet:

welcome aboard.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Maryland law. But most of us have found that in most states (with a couple of honorable excepions) that you just can't register them. I've heard of the "custom built motorcycle" category and I've also heard that it's a huge pain in the neck.

We simply see ourselves as riding a bicycle and nothing more. And most of us get away with it.

Good luck and have fun.

Back