New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

Found where my next motor is coming from! theyre a bit pricy but these beasts will put me over 60mph. better start shopping for some leathers as well!

2 strokes that rate up to 10hp. anyone have any input as to whether or not it would be practical for use? other than noise levels... :devilish:

they all have 78mm clutches and will bolt straight on to the staton box!

http://pocketbikesunlimited.com/RACEMOTORS.html

Ho Rick!

Ask the vendor if the engine you're interested in will bolt onto the 5:1 transmission on the pocket bike.

I guess you'd be interested in the 7hp air-cooled race motors. The water-cooled engines have water pumps, whose pulleys' belts run off the engines' sprockets.:geek:

Are you asking if itll bolt on to the 5:1 trans that you currently have on your bike? some look as though they come with some kind of gearbox on them but thats another question i will present when the purchase date nears, as most of the descriptions are somewhat less than what id expect lots of questions will be asked.

Im probably going to stay away from the water-cooled motors for the time being but im sure once i get a taste of the power im sure its a build i will give a shot. this hobby has got a hold on me now...

actually, after a little scouring over the internet ive found pocketbikeparts.com. it seems they have everything for our motor from upgraded carbs to big power cylinder head kits!!! no sense in tossing aside a tried platform! i feel like a kid in a candy store!

Have you seen one of these before?! im tickled!
not only is it a dual brake level its also a thumb throttle!!!

http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Brake_Lever_and_Throttle_Assemby_p/atbl302485.htm

Last edited:
Nice - thumb throttle has been on the back burner of the "find it and install it" list, and my front V brakes have been hanging around doing nothing. Good find pickett!

ADD: Hey, on a second look, there's a killswitch there too, so that's the whole meat and potatoes. I've been wanting to do a dual carb setup, and a thumb throttle is one of the few steps to making that happen!

i thought it might have been a killswitch but the button wasnt red, (totally conditioned =P).

i think this is going to be my new spot for most things MB! I like the idea for this guage cluster. the handle bars seem to be a bit tighter and more curvy than id prefer especially for my headlights beam angle and i hadnt though of it until i saw this thing, that it would totally free up some space on the handle bars and you could put a heck of a lot of lights on that thing sans guages!

http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=X7GG300579

Hey Guys,

The 5:1 Reverse Gear Box Fits All Engines With A 76mm Clutch Shoes, Both 2 And 3 Shoe. The Drum Is 78mm. I Bought 5 Of The Thumb Throttle And Dual Brake Lever Units A Couple Yrs Ago. Thinking I Have A Couple Of The Thumb Throttles With Out The Brake Lever Also. They Are Smooooth, Quaility Units.

The Wires Are For A Brake Lite. I Much Prefer The Thumb Throttle, Very Smooth And Comfortable, Especially For My Shifter Bike. The Twist Throttle`s Are Bad For First Time Operators. They Panic And Freeze On The Throttle On Bigger Motorcycles When They Lose Control. Much Easier To Release The Thumb Throttle.

The Dual Brake Lever Is Quite Safe, They Come On Atv`s. Have Thought Of Running A Rim Brake With A Left Hand Lever For A Backup. Dual Lever Controls Frt Disc And Rear Brake.

They Have An Idle Adjustment On The Cable And A Full Throttle Stop, That Way You Are Not Breaking Cables Or Carb Parts. The Thumb Throttles Were On Ebay For $9.95 W/free Sh. Thumb Throttle And Dual Brake Units Were $12. Free Sh. Bought Mine 5 Units Over 2 Yrs Ago And Paid Much More.

I Have Several Of The "cag" Horizontal Cylinder Engines. Have One On A Cvt Rack Mount With The 52cc Big Bore Kit, It Even Sounds Meaner!! Some Of Them Come With A Aluminum Pull Starter Cover And Cog. Or You Can Buy The Starter Separate.

The Little Tranny Looking Cover On The Side Is A Clutch Drum And Bellhousing. It Has The Little #25 Sprocket The Size Of A Dime. Took One To The Machine Shop And Had The Sprocket Cut Off And Bored And Tapped 5/16" Nf Thread`s Into The Clutch Drum Shaft. Then Used A Hardened 1 1/4" Allen Set Screw To Screw On The Motor Cog For An Eagle Belt Drive.

May Finish That Build Next Winter. I Have Pics If Anyone Is Interested. If You Think Of Going That Route, Use The Bell Housing With The Outer Cover With Outboard Bearing. The End Of The Allen Screw Would Need To Be Machined To Fit The Little Bearing, But Worth The Effort.

If You Don`t Like Caps, Don`t Read This More Than Once!! Lol

Enjoy Your Builds. Ron

Are you asking if itll bolt on to the 5:1 trans that you currently have on your bike? some look as though they come with some kind of gearbox on them but thats another question i will present when the purchase date nears, as most of the descriptions are somewhat less than what id expect lots of questions will be asked.

Im probably going to stay away from the water-cooled motors for the time being but im sure once i get a taste of the power im sure its a build i will give a shot. this hobby has got a hold on me now...

You're looking at the engine's bellhousing which supports its clutch drum and drive sprocket. Strictly 1:1 gear ratio there.

Private message to you, Rick.

Quality stuff guys! I'm not ready for the shifters but I'm gonna put a 460 on a semi custom F/D with a 1.25" spindle. I wanted chain drive but the lack of sprocket choices make it impossible without a gear reduction of some kind, not to mention I have disc brakes that I wont give up. I'm shooting for a low to mid 40 MPH top speed. The 460 is rated 4.2 HP @ 13000rpm! That's what I'm talking about. I can pedal @ 16-18mph so I'm not worried about low end power I want speed!

Back