New member w/ Honda GX35 staton chain drive on Nuvinci hub

Low to mid 40mph is attainable. My 460 engine on 1.25" friction drive ran 44mph. That was before the rider backed off the throttle, out of fear.:whistle:

Rick is my friend. Before he left for the Middle East, I sold him a 460 engine and Dominator pipe, which he mounted on this bike. His top speed on the flats was 53mph. That was over six months ago, so he might've gone faster since then.

Last edited:
and with a long yawn and a heavy stretch, the steed is back out of the stable. i switched from the under sized specialized frame i had to a dual suspension schwinn that was left abandoned for quite some time that fits quite a bit better. After playing Dr. Frankenstein with the two bikes, we're just about ready to hit the streets once this rain lets up.

kickin it in texas before i head back out to work. im really hoping i get the bike back in tip top shape before i go back to work. i found a local bike shop here that not only shares an interest in motorized bikes but also sells and services Nuvinci hubs, all of the guys are really cool, and they just so happen to be the closest shop to where i live... its like it was meant to be!

how have you been sir?

oh and to comment

"Rick is my friend. Before he left for the Middle East, I sold him a 460 engine and Dominator pipe, which he mounted on this bike. His top speed on the flats was 53mph. That was over six months ago, so he might've gone faster since then."

I was tearing apart the bike and was thumbing through my computer and it still shows my last highest speed of 53. So, that is the current benchmark ill be looking to break while im home.

Last edited:
LOL, it must feel GREAT to find a LBS that supports you and shares your interest.

Like you, I went to oversize tires. However, I had to lower my gear ratios to compensate for the taller diameters. Now I realize that when YOU installed bigger tires, your NV hub was already built in to compensate for your bike's taller tires.

Rick, consider installing a Chinese scooter windshield. They're cheap, easy to install, and MIGHT raise your top end.:unsure:

Cileen and I miss you, Rick.

Well I have a few new pieces in the mail and parts out all over the place getting serviced. The hub is getting an overhaul and it's fluid changed, my gear box was damaged in bearing removal so new parts will be coming in for that. I upgraded the handle bars to the MX style low profile with the support bar running above where the handle bars mount to the fork to be used as a sort of gauge cluster. I found a temp gauge that attaches to the spark plug I'll be using along with the thumb throttle/dual pull brake lever/kill switch assembly and a few other pieces to refresh the motor (gaskets, carb rebuild, engine cover, etc.) it'll be like a brand new machine!

Glad to hear you ad cileen are doing well! I don't regret a single day I purchased that hub, and would do it the same way again if I had to start all over. How are you liking the ride with larger tires? I felt as though it was a bit smoother (of course) but more importantly it inspires a lot more confidence in fast turns, it makes the bike feel more seated to the road IMO.

Last edited:
I use the Staton crank drive system. I put this on a Land Rider bike. I manually shift the three front gears and my seven rear gears shift automatically. I power it with a Robin Subaru EHO 35 4 stroke engine.

Well I have a few new pieces in the mail and parts out all over the place getting serviced. The hub is getting an overhaul and it's fluid changed, my gear box was damaged in bearing removal so new parts will be coming in for that. I upgraded the handle bars to the MX style low profile with the support bar running above where the handle bars mount to the fork to be used as a sort of gauge cluster. I found a temp gauge that attaches to the spark plug I'll be using along with the thumb throttle/dual pull brake lever/kill switch assembly and a few other pieces to refresh the motor (gaskets, carb rebuild, engine cover, etc.) it'll be like a brand new machine!

Glad to hear you and cileen are doing well! I don't regret a single day I purchased that hub, and would do it the same way again if I had to start all over. How are you liking the ride with larger tires? I felt as though it was a bit smoother (of course) but more importantly it inspires a lot more confidence in fast turns, it makes the bike feel more seated to the road IMO.

I like the larger 26 x 2.35 Big Apple tires, but don't care for its balding tread pattern. However, it REALLY adversely affected my gear ratios. The tires raised wheel diameter from 26" to 27". With the smaller tire, I was barely able to motor up that short steep hill near Salt Lake Shopping Center. With the 27" tires, it was impossible to do so in gridlocked traffic. The solution was reducing the bicycle chainring sprocket from 30t to 24t. First gear ratio had raised 5% with the larger tires, so the 24t lowered it 25%. Now I can ride up that hill, or the footpath next to it like a dirt bike! The larger front tire also does not slip as much on "speed dots" and wet manhole covers/metal plates.

Glad to hear your bike's in top shape. Any clutch problems?

Next year, I'll try to finish my Project 29er bike. That gearbox delay is a downer. I'll prolly use a single GP460, Scooterguy center-mount, shift kit and 8-speed cassette. If I can fit the Dominator exhaust in there, I'll be ecstatic!

Have you tried 100:1 Opti-2 oil? I'm using that now. 50% less oil spray, even less for the 460 engine.

How's riding in Texas? Flat and miles of road, yes? Which town are you in?

I like the larger 26 x 2.35 Big Apple tires, but don't care for its balding tread pattern. However, it REALLY adversely affected my gear ratios. The tires raised wheel diameter from 26" to 27". With the smaller tire, I was barely able to motor up that short steep hill near Salt Lake Shopping Center. With the 27" tires, it was impossible to do so in gridlocked traffic. The solution was reducing the bicycle chainring sprocket from 30t to 24t. First gear ratio had raised 5% with the larger tires, so the 24t lowered it 25%. Now I can ride up that hill, or the footpath next to it like a dirt bike! The larger front tire also does not slip as much on "speed dots" and wet manhole covers/metal plates.

Glad to hear your bike's in top shape. Any clutch problems?

Next year, I'll try to finish my Project 29er bike. That gearbox delay is a downer. I'll prolly use a single GP460, Scooterguy center-mount, shift kit and 8-speed cassette. If I can fit the Dominator exhaust in there, I'll be ecstatic!

Have you tried 100:1 Opti-2 oil? I'm using that now. 50% less oil spray, even less for the 460 engine.

How's riding in Texas? Flat and miles of road, yes? Which town are you in?

Yeah it was a lengthy trial and error getting my drive freewheel just right. Staton tried to sell me on his new 16.07 gearbox but I knew that would screw with my ratio set up so I opted out and I'm pretty pleased with the bontrager cruizers so I think I'll be sticking with them.

I'm actually pretty excited to see a set up like LR Jerry's because it's basically a hybrid of our bikes. It's got less complexity than the Nuvinci hub and it shifts automatically. Pretty cool stuff. I wonder if you can adjust the speeds at which it changes gears, instead of having to buy a different toothed freewheel or gear?

Tell me more about this oil, less spray, 100:1, sounds magical...

Last edited:
Back