No Ht Motors For Usa In 2010

I came across this on the grubee website today.
SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T TRUE.

Hay USA!! Important Note for the upcoming 2010 year:
In 2010, at least as of Nov. 5th 2009, non of the 2 cycle engine factories in China have been able to get their engines EPA certified to the new rating of 40CFR 1051.

Meaning; no 2 cycle bike engine shipments will be able to enter the USA after Jan 1. 2010 unless something changes. From Jan. 2008 to March 2009 the EPA rating has been 40CFR 90 off road non hand held but now changed to 1051 off road recreational vehicle which is the same class as a snowmobile. USA Import Buyers beware;

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE WAKE ME UP FROM THIS NIGHTMARE:confused::confused::confused::devilish::devilish::cry::cry:

vtec - Emissions rules aren't made up overnight. The stricter regulations that are kicking in for 2010 have been known by manufacturers for some time now. The mass producers of utility engines have known this and have spent lots of money to keep their equipment compliant. The few small factories in China that produce these bicycle engines do not have the capital to invest in a major redesign and compliance testing, so they will either produce four stroke kits, relying on a larger engine manufacturers (like HuaSheng) or go out of business altogether.

Took a closer look at my new leaf blower, and there are three lines going to the gas tank. Two for the fuel loop connected to the Zama diaphragm carb, and one going to (presumably) a charcoal canister connected to the intake. Whoopdeedooo!

I doubt that a HT engine will become more valuable after they can't be imported anymore. The original Russian versions aren't even selling for very much and any remaining are old stock from several years ago.

Last edited:
the mattel "VROOM!"

now, i did not know that about your condition, but i am aware of your recent MB-struggles in Oz...the mattel noise-maker was only an e-joke...i have tried a couple times locally to get a retiree to have a doctor prescribe a mobility product, then let me build him a documented electric trike...so far no takers but i'm still game.

that would be hard MB-loophole to close i bet :)

Last edited:
vtec - Emissions rules aren't made up overnight. The stricter regulations that are kicking in for 2010 have been known by manufacturers for some time now. The mass producers of utility engines have known this and have spent lots of money to keep their equipment compliant. The few small factories in China that produce these bicycle engines do not have the capital to invest in a major redesign and compliance testing, so they will either produce four stroke kits, relying on a larger engine manufacturers (like HuaSheng) or go out of business altogether.

Thank heavens for "free market" Capitolism, saving jobs, World Wide even!

without going too far into the political realm...let's not forget that many of our capitalistic woes have been bestowed upon us by the capitalists themselves...the greedy middleman has always been the bane of "free" enterprise, and the HT market is no exception...for some reason, the joker who sells it to you thinks he's worth more than the guy who made it.

some while back, there was a "flood" of pre-catalyst 80/65 HT's (i have my own theory about who) that cost the retailer under $50ea in quantity...i didn't expect the savings to be passed on, and it wasn't...y'all were paying $160 and up at the time.

i've been out of the loop for a long time now, by choice, i have no idea what the current conditions are.

Last edited:
Your always throwin that hook Augi, LOL! I got to meet you some day! I'm crackin up here, BLAME THE MIDDLE MAN! LOL! Good insight!

0'bamenhood to the rescue!!! LOL! Sounds good unless your considered the rich guy!

In my mind, there is no simple solution Brother... I'm against trade w/ 3rd World Countries especially the ones who try to bring us down to their level...

The HT motor is just a classic example of how they all twist words to get what they want!

oh, quit it...we'd just clink beers and laugh

i lost most'a my "friends" here in town ultimately because i didn't vote for the winner...and was vocal about why.

who's sorry now, eh? not me, i'm already poor, but i don't feel as if that
entitles me to anyone else's hard-earned resources :)

anyways...i take no labels, because they only divide & confuse...this isn't about a 3rd-world laborer & a developed-country consumer...it's about all the dudes (capitalist or politician, what's the dang difference anymore?) who have to take a piece of our transaction just because they can. it's as simple as human nature and as complicated as global economics, but if we don't look to our individual behaviors no way we solve the larger problems.

the productive middleman serves a purpose and earns a cut, and there is room for a reasonable amount of "brokerage"...but the greedy extraneous middleman is extra baggage/dead weight...add up all that wasted money & there's enuff to have already paid for the compliant HT's development.

MBc staff, please let this one go:
i've lived in some very rough areas, drugs and other vices, etc...and i'd interact at a safe level whenever possible, very interesting actually and fun in a visceral way i have to admit...my primary question was always: "don't you guys realize, if you'd all work together instead of burning each other every chance you get, you'd all get higher for longer?"

if the HT market takes a hit, it will be its' own doing, and the "middleman" has
played a large role...just like at street-level. so, this is not anything new.

people are people, after all...yet people are surprised when people act like people...go figure.

Last edited:
Not having a crystal ball, I can't predict the future. What I do know is the future of the HT engine manufacturers was already in doubt. The Chinese market has begun to dry up as their economy has exploded and the Chinese consumer is now shopping for cars and small trucks instead of relatively primitive motored bikes. Remember, in our modern automobile centered comunity, we are a tiny minority and China is headed in the same direction. There may be one or two makers who continue production and even bring their HTs into compliance, but the US motored bike market is such a minuscule part of their production it would be difficult to justify the cost. I would imagine most makers will switch to making small utility engine clones of higher quality, as we are beginning to see now, or fold. The Chinese market, not the US market, will determine the future of the HT engine. There might be a small business opportunity to bring these engines into compliance with the regs and continue to supply them here, but the cost will be high and the rewards small. One thing for sure, compliant engines will cost more. If I wanted to continue running HTs, I would buy a bunch now and put them away for future use.

The Chinese market, not the US market, will determine the future of the HT engine.

The cheap 2 strokes have all but been banned in the metro areas of China and have been for awhile now....with most motorized two wheelers having gone electric.
These HT type engines have pretty much been relegated to export production.

Back