Now Selling 52mm Bore 85cc Kits! Phantom Killer

Hello all, This is my first post here.
I have built my first motorized bike today using the Avenger 85 and a Cruz frame (yes, I know an overpriced hyper with a disc brake and minor tweaks).

I didn't know this engine was so new to market, but saw it is a competitor to the sold out phantom.

That said, I have a ton of experience with 4 stroke, diesel and 2 stroke Nitro engines, and am a fleet mechanic with 18 years under my belt, this is just a hobby for me, not transportation, so I'll give it a shot!

That said, what oil mix do you guys recommend? I plan on getting ethanol free and mixing 25:1 synthetic 2cycle oil.

This is my break-in oil.
No one knows for sure what caused the break-down here. It may or may not have been the 4 Stroke oil you used for
break-in. I looked at the sds which states the oil has a flashpoint of about 400 degrees F which seems relatively high
enough to handle the heat of the engine, but it may have been better to use a straight 30W. Petroleum based oils
just don't burn as cleanly as synthetics, but just for break-in at lower rpms, and in the right concentration, it
might have worked. Did you lubricate the engine parts, cylinder, etc., during assembly before start-up?
There have been several Rotax failures supposedly caused by not adding some oil to the cylinders before starting of a
new engine.

I put engine assembly grease (really thin stuff) on the ring, liner and wrist pin bearing.

I have drained car and pony engines that had fuel laden oil- it gets gloopy and chunky sometimes, I guess it depends on the oil additive package interacting, ethanol probably just makes things worse as it absorbs water, water and oil makes mud.

You can buy additive free straight 30W and probably what was used in the past.

Well, you did use some lubricant during assembly. I'm going to guess
that the break-in oil was not the cause, but something else, some other
defect in the motor design.

Maybe, maybe not. I say this because the BR oil he chose
has a high flash point. However, If it doesn't burn cleanly
enough and causes deposits, it's a problem. But some 2 stroke
synthetics do contain mineral oil, like Lucas semi-synthetic,
and they advertise as clean burning. This almost requires
an engine test to see if the BR oil can be used successfully in a 2T
for lower rpm break-in.

Maybe, maybe not. I say this because the BR oil he chose
has a high flash point. However, If it doesn't burn cleanly
enough and causes deposits, it's a problem. But some 2 stroke
synthetics do contain mineral oil, like Lucas semi-synthetic,
and they advertise as clean burning. This almost requires
an engine test to see if the BR oil can be used successfully in a 2T
for lower rpm break-in.
I put less than 10mi. with the break-in oil then put Mystic synthetic 2-stroke oil in it. Ran fine until about 30mi. Maybe ran lean due to intake leak and over heated the ring?

Back