Oregon Newbie with first motor to install...

Missed the MB rally because of a blown muffler

Muffler baffle welds gave out on Saturday Morning with new NGK plug test ride :(
The tail pipe and upper baffle were vibrating and loud exhaust because of the blown fit. The lower baffle was still bolted with allen screws and were not loose. So I ended up torching the oil residue on parts so I can try some aluminum brazening rod for a fix. I have four aluminum screws plugging the holes that I drilled into the baffles. Which I'm sure stressed the weld when drill on a bench with wood blocks. The screw plugs accepted the aluminum rod and made a nice radius fillet. I pulled the exhaust tube up and in to old weld seated position. Pulling action made the nice radius support.
Rode the bike today after reseal the exhaust head with high temp gasket maker. I let the bike sit for 24 hours and re-torqued the exhaust head bolts.
Test ride was soothing...nice and quiet with no rattle trap sounds!
Here is a few pictures:
Pic#1. oil ratio was 16:1 with Homlite chainsaw oil and Chinese plug.
Also NGK plug head is shorter than Chinese plug. New gallon mixed at 25:1 and will make a new comparison after this gallon is used. Test ride seemed a little more spunky.

Pic#2. Bottom view of weld that adhere to aluminum screws and surrounds the loose tail pipe. The pipe is solid now! (for now?)

pic#3. Bluing of the chrome from the weld job with ever thing installed for a perfect fit. Note allen head screws in clutch cover and exhaust tip. Will eventually replace cover screws as needed.

Attachments

• bike plug comparison.jpg
    bike plug comparison.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 99
  • Aluminum weld.jpg
    Aluminum weld.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 123
  • Heat bluing from repair weld.jpg
    Heat bluing from repair weld.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 101
Fourty minute ride

Longest ride to date. And the new fuel oil ratio is working well with the NGK plug. I have 50 miles on the HT/trip meter. 288 on the life time of bike/odometer.

1hour 5 minutes and 20 miles later...

Longest ride and only saw one cop. I rode through downtown Salem and was surprised that most bike lanes just disappear and leave you hanging looking in the rear view mirror. So I had to ride on the road and push my little HT up to 25 mph for a half a block at a time. Climbed my first steep hill at about 12% grade for 5 blocks up and up. Then cut over to Minto Brown city park. Just turned around and headed south on Commericial most of that has a wide bike lane. Safety issues were the infamous y intersections to crossover to stay on arterial. Then crusied about a mile down hill. Clutch pulled and motor off. The last 5 miles my helmet started feeling very uncomfortable. I got home and see that some plastic strap is not padded. I'll trim that up to prevent that most distracting discomfort. Legs felt a little tired from supporting weight. The air/gel seat was most comfortable, padded weight lifting gloves took care of the handle bar vibration. If the exhaust was quieter that would be my next goal then I can see riding longer. My ears are kinda ringing from contiued exposure. Short rides I do not notice any noise problems.
Got several comments " I got to get one of those!" I passed all bicylcist out of the bike lane which meant I had to time the pass with traffic. I saw one E-scooter. Not a bike at all. And he was in the bike lane.

Glad everything is working out.You should come ride with me in Woodburn.L's of back roads with no traffic. P.M ans we can set a time up for a ride.

Back