painting engine cylinder. will effect cooling? [ tips pix links ]

As I have heard it, painting an engine does not appreciably raise the temperature of it, as long as you use a non-gloss paint.

The surface finish that causes the most heat to be retained is smooth-polishing.
~

Here you go, this is straight from the horses mouth, or maybe the website.......

Copied and pasted from Duplicolor's website regarding High Heat Engine Paint.

Both Engine Enamel and High Heat Paint formulas now contain ceramic resins for maximum heat dissipation and gloss retention. The resins also offer protection from exposure to excessive heat and automotive fluids. Developed and tested in the lab, Dupli-Color® Engine and High Heat Paints will perform to the most rigorous standards of racing and street rod enthusiasts.

Dupli-Color® Engine Enamel with Ceramic

Resists temperatures up to 500 degrees F
Durable ceramic formulatio
Superior high gloss finishes
Oil and gas resistant
Will not blister, flake, crack or peel
36 colors matched to OEM standards
6 Classic Colors, 7 Hot Rod Colors
EZ Touch® Nozzle
Dupli-Color® High Heat Paint with Ceramic

Resists temperatures up to 1200 degrees F, intermittently
Durable ceramic formulation
Tough cured finish resists oil, gas grease, rust, salt, humidity, and solvents
6 colors
EZ Touch® Nozzle

Last edited by a moderator:
painting cylinder, will effect cooling?

After reading a few recent posts, I deceided to run a few quick tempature tests on 4 of my Whizzers. One NE5 with stock motor, one with cylinder painted with Dupli-Color #DE1613 [gloss black], another with the cylinder painted with Dupli-Color #DE1634 [low gloss black], and the last painted with Dupli-Color #DE1635 [semi gloss black]. I use the 3 different shades of black to identify the intake port size of my modified cylinders, gloss black = .859" intake I.D., semi gloss black = .875" intake I.D., and low gloss black = 20.8 MM intake I.D. Each bike was ridden 15 miles at approx. 35 MPH, then checked with a digital meter. The differences between all the painted cylinders was less than 5 degrees, however the unpainted stock NE motor was 49 degrees warmer. The Dupli-color #DE1635 had the lowest tempature. Also a quick note about using the higher tempature Dupli-Color paints to paint your cylinder, Don't! I tested Dupli-color #DH1602 and it never dries on a cylinder, it is for headers and can handle tempatures up to 1200 degrees.
Quenton

:eek::eek::eek: Too Late..Already painted the cylinder, jug and head with 1200 low gloss black high heat temp 1200 degree. I polished my covers and painted them with the clear high heat 500 Degree paint. Well, so far the paint has stuck to it, as far as engine temps, not sure how to test that one. I will keep everyone posted on the function of the motor and if I notice any difference.

Hi,

To properly measure engine temps you can use a non contact infrared thermometer....I've been looking into one of these to measure temps of brake drums on my landscape trailers to ensure all brakes are working properly (i.e.
all brake drums should be roughly the same temp....otherwise some brakes may be overworked or some under worked)....I might try to get one through Northern Tool....About $100-$150 for a decent one.

Andrew

Here is the finished product and here is the sanding wheel, buffing wheel and the wrong polishing compound that I used to polish my covers. I used the same product but their white compound not brown, the brown is more abrasive.

Attachments

• Left Side.jpg
    Left Side.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 577
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 605
  • sand1.jpg
    sand1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 392
  • sand2.jpg
    sand2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 392
You could probably buy regular happy time engines, paint and polish them, and sell them for $50-100 more than what you bought them for.

Yes, it looks that much cooler (no pun intended).

I did some reading on this subject some time ago and came to the conclusion that the color was not a factor in the effectiveness of dispersing heat. Black is used primarily due to its not showing dirt and oil compared to say white. Engines have been painted a number of colors since the beginning, Ford engines were white, then green, then bright red, before finally Ford Engine Blue.

like this ?
122_painted_1_1.jpg

122_painted_2_1.jpg

Hi everybody,

My name is Kevin and this is my first post.

I was cruising around your forum and found this picture.
I polished/painted this engine for the Ebonita bike a few years ago.
Hopefully soon the new owner will get it on a bike and get it running. (you out there Kelly?)

The motor was disassembled, filed and sanded to remove all casting marks, then painted with a high heat gloss. The parts were then baked in a toaster oven for a few hours.

For the side covers, I used a flat file to rough out the shape. Then used progressively finer sandpaper (up to 800 grit). After that, I hit it with some steel wool, and finally hand rubbed it using blue magic aluminum polish.
I've done this with several motors and have always had good results.

Never had a problem with overheating.

Kevin

Back