painting engine cylinder. will effect cooling? [ tips pix links ]

welcome to MBc, Kevin. you may want to introduce yourself to the rest of the kids, in the Introduce Yourself lobby *wink*.
you'll find that things go very easy for new members to make a good impression, by reading the rules, and searching previous posts. again, welcome!

btw...that motor looks SWEET.

That's not a chrome job? That's just sand and polish? Incredible.
This winter I plan on fixing up my bike with some paint. That chrome trick I need to look in to.

yep black (or dull surfaces) does absorb heat but it also emits it too, whereas if something is shiny it will tend to retain it and reflect heat. A simple test to show this is on a hot sunny day touch the bonnet of a white car, then a black car, the black will be much hotter because it has absorbed the heat and the white car has reflected it. The black will also dissipate the heat much better than the white.

So i got my Dax 65 last night, and am looking to do all the prep/cosmetic work on the front end vs installing and then disassembling and then doing it. is it necessary to disassemble the entire crank case prior to painting? my gut on this says yes, just wanted to make sure.

thanks.

all I did was put in an old spark plug to fill that opening, and taped up intake and exhaust openings
then I used an old paint brush and thinner on the entire engine

all I did was put in an old spark plug to fill that opening, and taped up intake and exhaust openings
then I used an old paint brush and thinner on the entire engine

what about the clutch, sprocket and magneto covers? did you paint those as well or pull them and then tape off? i am digging the black/polished look, so i would like to keep those paint free so i can shine them up later.

I have done both ways...all painted and just the covers
the good thing about painting all of the engine is, you don't notice any oil seapage discoloring
if you want to paint everything but the covers, I would leave it all assembled, and tape off the covers...if you go that way, remember that you need to seal the mag and clutch covers after removing them, the easiest way is using black high-heat rtv silicone

You have to use high temperature paint that (preferably) has a ceramic additive to help dissipate heat from the engine. A paint that is cured by the heat of the engine.

Regular 'ole paint will melt, peel or flake off the engine at higher temperatures. Or even cake onto the engine housing. As far as the gas tank, any ole paint will do I reckon.

Myself, I have wondering how Anodized paint would look on an motorized bicycle engine:

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/autopaint/duplicolor-c9.html

Gas tanks take more thinking. Gasoline is murder on the paint. I would just to throw this up there try an epoxy based paint.

Large is absolutely correct.

Epoxy would always add a lot of durability and longectivity to any project.

Back