Performance Carb Upgrade

No, no real damage. Just a split head and some bruises etc. (In my own driveway, at almost 0mph. Front wheel started to slide on the gravel, then hit the edge of the concrete. I went headfirst into the concrete in a split-second. Out cold for a bit, lots of blood, vomiting, a few weeks 'til I could ride again. Lucky a neighbour saw me go down and not get up and came to help.) No helmet - not too smart anytime.

Have you seen the straight intakes? they say you have to cut 1/4 off the clutch cable housing (the one that is on the engine) Wonder how those are. :unsure:

Glad your not hurt to bad! So a helmet is head gear? That is why I have long hair (TO SOAK UP ANY BLOOD) at our age it gets harder to recover. So I hope every body ride safe!

danlandberg said:
Have you seen the straight intakes? they say you have to cut 1/4 off the clutch cable housing (the one that is on the engine) Wonder how those are.

Yep, I have one here. (I think I mentioned it briefly in that carb/inlet sealing thread.)
It's really well made and has an 'o' ring, but is too low and makes the carb sit at too much of an angle, with my engine. 5-10º steeper than the stock inlets.
(It's permanently in my box of (brand new) spares. Have to do something about that someday.)
Might suit your setup, but you need to screw the clutch adjust anchor screw right down for the carb to clear.
I wrote a little more about this subject, including a couple of pics, here.

:unsure:I've seen the straight intakes but can't remember the sight. If you know the link, please post. Thanks Dan L

210061741, the straight intakes match the port, but the inside diameter is smaller than the steel inlets, which I assume would restrict flow slightly.
(I also matched the port on my 'o'-ring modified alloy inlet, but it has the same small I.D. problem.)

Dan, Rock Solid Engines sell them here in Oz, ($35AU), Pirate Cycles in the US, ($11US).

Last edited:
I've got a great build coming up. I've ordered the shifter kit 2(geared for top speed), an expansion chamber exhaust, high performance spark plug wire, and the engine comes with one of those carburetors that they say is built for 66cc engines instead of the stock 49cc carbs. The engine is a slant 66cc Skyhawk. All parts are in already. Just gotta find a good bike to put all this on. I am currently at Camp Shelby, Mississippi training to go to Iraq, but I am gettin a pass from March 5th through the 9th. I should be able to build the bike in a few hours. Will post pics and hopefully videos. Any suggestions on tuning would be appreciated. I wanna be able to have a top speed of 50 mph. Don't know how possible that will be with this setup.

joeranton, You might need to take more than a few hours, depending on the bike.
It's worth spending a little extra time to get things right.
When choosing the frame, be sure that the engine will fit.
Hard to say much about tuning until it's together and running. They're all slightly different.
A top speed of 50mph is possible, but usually only downhill or with a tail-wind or both.
Depends a lot on body weight, too.
With the shift kit, 30-40mph on the flat if everything is running well.

Back