pinging noise

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by JosephGarcia, Apr 4, 2007.

1. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

pinging noise from cylinder while riding. i was looking around the web and i found this site http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/seizure/ which discusses 2 stroke engines, and a pinging noise related to running too lean. how can i fix this with my motor? if its normal for these please let me know.
    previous owner did mention he made the motor lean

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

are you confident working with the carb? there are 4 slots on your needle, & a circlip in one of them, you adust overall mixture by changing slots. there's pics and more info around here somewhere.

slot 1/top - lean
    slot4/bottom - rich

also...you say you have a "broken in" engine...what oil & ratio are you using?

3. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

he says 30:1, so thats what im using. and he showed me those clips on the needle to change it, there are 3, and its on the farthest one. when the pin is vertical (as it would be when the engine is on the bike and in a normal position) its the one closest to the top of the bike.

should I change it to the middle one? and any recamendations for gas/oil mixture won't go unread, as i am new to this stuff.

4. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

seems you're familiar, ok.

pre-mix is within the range of the different opinions here, that should be fine. low octane is better.

IF you're concerned about fuel mixture, it takes no time to try the different slots for yourself.

most peeps seem to have better luck in the midrange, my 70 runs best overall on 2nd from top of 4 slots. it's a safe bet you'll like the bike better on the middle slot.

BTW: are you already sure you don't have a leaking head or exhaust gasket? you've checked headbolts, exhaust bolts, plug, looked for oily signs of leaks?

5. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

I'll try the middle one then, thanks.

No leaks, a friend of mine who knows alot about these engines looked it over today for leaks or anything wrong, and its sound, save for the leaking carb problem I had, but was fixed in about 5 minutes.

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

keep us posted 8)

welcome to MBc :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Also, a leaking intake gasket will make it lean...if it still pings after you adjust the clip, double check your intake/carb gaskets.

8. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

checked the intake gasket. it seems kinda worn, how would i replace this?

9. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

piece of cereal-box cardboard or black-paper/fiber gasket, goop up both sides with a gasket sealer.

oh yeah, & i remembered: the intake and exhaust flanges don't always arrive "true & flat" and this is one cause of early leaks. a flat file will easily take care of it.

10. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

tightened the intake sprocket, no leaks, everythings sound. changed the circlip to the second to the top notch. turns out there ARE 4, didn't look close enough last time, my bad. Haha.

So in cold weather what should I do to warm up the engine before I start riding it hard. I rode around the block at 10-15MPh. is this ok?

And maybe im not used to it, but something seems off about the engine firing, I'll upload a video to youtube so maybe someone here can tell me if its fine or what.

11. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Is it possible that your engine is "four stroking"? That's when a two stroke is so rich it fires every other revolution, like a four stroke engine. Sounds even, but very choppy, not smooth and buzzy like a two stroke.

I watched the vid, but I can't tell anything from it....sounds like an old model A. :???:

13. azvinnie

azvinnie Guest

i was told by a reliable source(roland) that if you change your oil,gas mix from 20-1 to 30-1 it will shorten the life of your engine i still run mine at 20-1 and my bike runs great. i guess if you run your engine lean it doesen't lube the piston as much which can't be good.............

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Vinnie- I guess we'll see how it works out in the long run. As I've stated from a lot of experience with two stroke engines, too much oil is as bad as too little for different reasons. I am not telling anyone they SHOULD run 30-40 to 1, but I personally would.

These engines (also as stated previously) come with instructions written by the manufacture (Chinese) and the type of oil they use would probably be O.K. at 20-1 just to keep enough lubricant in the fuel. (I can go into more detail here if you wish, but suffice to say the oil "over there" is really, really bad.)

However, modern made in the good 'ol U.S. of A. oil should be more than sufficient at 36 to 1 or 40 to 1. Case in point- we used to run our big two stroke ultralight aircraft engines at 24 or 36 to 1, now we run the very same engines at 40 or 50 to 1, the oil being the only difference.

For those of you that will still want to run 20 to 1 mixtures, I would suggest you keep a close eye on carbon build up in the exhaust, rings and piston dome and clean accordingly. I'd pull the pipe and or head every 20 hours and have a look. At least check the plug (not the best indicator) every couple of weeks and see what it looks like.

I'm guessing these engines should run about 250 hours before they need a rebuild? Maybe less based on the technology (or lack thereof).

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh yeah, two words.....syn thetic...Oh that's one. :smile:

16. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

i use pennzoil synthetic outboard oil for 2 stroke engines at 32-1

the problem seem to correct itself within an hour of riding, went to 30-1

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Outboard oil is definitely not for these applications, I would advise you to switch to either Penzoil for AIR COOLED engines, or another synthetic, but not for one outboard applications.

They are two different types of two stroke oil.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled outboard-type engines and require a lubricant formulated for their unique lubrication requirements.

Outboard oils have a lower flashing point and tend to burn up early in air-cooled engines, causing carbonization and eventual ring sticking.

Because of this, BIA, TC-W and TC-WII oils can promote the formation of deposits.

Also, this may be your cause of pinging....

19. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

you all make great points, even though the oil carton does say for use in air cooled engines. I'll switch and see if it helps. thanks everyone.