Pleasant Discovery

No idler at all

I have no idler at all on mine. I am sure this is easier to do on a single speed. This has been the biggest difference in noise and performance that I have found so far. Seems like all I hear is the engine now that the idler is not rattling away with the chain rolling over it. Speed is increase and vibration is reduced by this setup.

I definitely recommend two people do this, one to pull the wheel for tension and the other to tighten the nuts.

Attachments

• Jet chain.JPG
    Jet chain.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 259
Johnny

Another good way to pull your tension without needing 2 people is to place one side of a vice grip jaw onto the tip of the axel and the other to the curve of metal that forms the axel slide slot. adjusting the vice grip pressure knob gives you great control of the tightness of either chain and holds it fast while you tighten the nuts back up. I think some people believe you must have the entire axle pulled back equally before tightening and that only makes a precision set that much more difficult. pulling back tension on one side at a time with the imperceptable but highly adjustable pressures of a vice grip pliers really gives you perfect control of tension, tire angleing if you need it, or just a fast lockdown if your observing some problem during tensioning jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
johnny

I guess i should add this trick only works if you HAVE exposed thread room when your nut is on the axle. Also, after setting the tension you want on one side with the grips, the nut should be tightened only tight enough to lock the tension in place while you go to the other side and do that tension as well. then you give the final FIRM nuts tightening

Got rid of my idler last night and took out two links of motorcycle chain on the drive side because of WIZARDOFONE's endeavors and also shortened the chain on the pedal side. So much quieter and runs like a dream now. no chain slap and no idler noise. The chain does rub against the frame a little now so I don't know if I need to address that or what.

If your axle has room, maybe add some spacers/washers to spread the frame out a little. Maybe less than a centimeter is all you need depending on how much it's rubbing.

Thanks - that's a good idea - I'll go pick up some 1/2 inch washers this weekend!

To Sideshow

Ya SS, isnt it great ? I'm amazed at the difference ... since I build only the typical Beach Cruiser with fairly identical frames I'm hoping my 3rd build lets that wheel less chain situation occur again .... check out the new "chrome stallion" in the gallery !

Testing this attaching thing...

I would love to remove my tensioner but then how would I mount my trailer?

View attachment 2168

If I move it too far foward,I'll hit my pedal. Maybe I'll have enough room.

Large, first you will have to see if taking enough links out of your engine chain will make it tight enough to run without a tensioner. If it works, your trailer should be fine where it is. If you are worried about it sliding, just bolt a small clamp in the same place your tensioner is now.

Back