Police in Sydney, Australia

Do you not understand that these kits are officially illegal for use on public roads and we are only relying on the discretion of the police? We are hardly "cyclists" when we are using a combustion engine that is multiple times the 200w limit.

Of course the police right now dont see it as an issue but it wouldn't be long before lots of people like you start riding these things on busy 60-70km/hr major roads which means higher public scrutiny as well as annoying car drivers. The obvious consequence is there will be a major media and RTA driven crackdown.

Sticking to quiet roads/parks/designated cycleways means less public exposure and at least minimise the issue. Or at least busy roads that have dense slow traffic so we arent the object of attention.

You do have a choice, and that is to use a pushbike or buy an electric kit (even above the 200W limit as nobody will know).

edit: Im also sure the person at nyngan who as using the electric e-bike was riding sensibly (she has to as the motor is a measly 200W) when she was dinged by the police. The cause of her misfortune is that the e-bike was a cop magnet as it resembled a normal scooter without a rear plate (even if their initial suspicions were wrong the cops got her on a legal technicality that the e-bike was not able to pedal powered). It all comes down to public visibility and whether the contraption is a police enforcement issue. If more people start using HTs on major public roads it will soon become one.
Iron Monkey,
your comments are spot on, the judgment by the supreme court said that the word "auxillary" in the legislation has work to do and therefore must be observed.
The RTA has now tested the 200watt ebike and has added them to thier restricted list.

I have lost my license and thers no way i would ride a bike like the Zbike that is 6 times the legal limit!
The police are smart, do not be fooled. they consider it a slap in the face when people use vehicles that are illegal after a court has rulled that they don't drive a car.
they will take action against them as soon as they have the process worked out properly.
before long there would have to be a certification on the motor stating its output. REGULATION IS ON ITS WAY!

Has anyone been watching the Tour De France,
those guys would kick behinds on anyone on a MB.

I wonder how many Watts an Olympic cyclist would generate ?

My point being, a MB just levels the playing field for those
too lazy/able to train 40 hours per week.

why did rta test the 200 watt ebike ??? you can tell the main drive is the batteries.engine.not pedals.i have seen people ride ebikes all around sydney city streets . no number plates .in among cars and all other traffic. just waiting for cops too bust them. they look like a scooter moped. i am suspened licence.i ride a kmart electric push bike 200watts .am i taking a risk???

Thats because ebikes look like full fledged petrol scooters.

They pose a police enforcement problem in that police wouldn't know whats an e-bike and whats a petrol scooter that should be ADRed and licensed. They had to be made illegal or else policing scooters would be a pain.

More legals Info than you can poke a stick at....

ok,

I found a website that discusses the australian legals in some detail.
with references to the RTA's info.

http://www.pigswillfly.com.au/?p=1130

I have been reading through
Power_assisted_bikes_NSW_RTA_paper_2008.pdf,
which is in there, (do a find for it...)

seems like the people in power in the RTA,
don't want this country to reduce its carbon footprint !!!

Yeah, this sucks. I just read the whole thread and I ride my Z80 around manly in Sydney and have been past many police cars, but whenever I do I just go easy on the throttle and pedal harder. Ive never been stopped or confronted by any cops. I often use my bike to get myself to school because the busses dont usually let me on because im a 'school kid'.
I used to ride in my sports uniform (trackies etc) but got myself a 2hr detention so now I think im going to just ride in my normal school uniform, which shouldnt be a hassle considering I dont break a sweat, most of the time.

Back