Power Generation - Time to Get Serious

now ya's are gettin' somewhere...some sort of universal friction setup, yes a beefed-up old-timey generator is all we're talking about, spring-loaded behind the seatpost would be good. the "rub" (pun intended) is how to keep a battery from bleeding back when there's no motion or slow motion. i played around with some inline (snowmobile) & pocketbike/scooter regulators, but far as i know and far as i've been told there's no such thing as an electrical "check-valve"...someone please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

ok, diode...thanks, rc'

now, is anyone adept enuff to scribble out a simple to use wiring diagram that would regulate & check an assumed 0-20VDC source? sort of a starting point for everyone to be on the same page?

The Perfect Generator

Hey guys.

I haven't priced these yet don't think it will be bad.

They will be perfect for Power Generation.

You can see as watage output goes up so dose use of horsepower.

We don't want to sacrifice much HP.

These are perfect.

Allthough they sell a model that will output 2000w it consumes .75 HP.

Now the 150 w isnt bad at all.
I could live with it.

Easily adapted to anything with a shaft.

Attachments

• S675-300 Data Sheet.pdf
    469.1 KB · Views: 341
  • S675-400 Data Sheet.pdf
    586.6 KB · Views: 318
Hi Rich,

I like the idea of the 225 watt generator - compact, easy to mount on the shaft and provides enough electrical grunt to run a pair of 100 watt driving lights - my original goal.

I could pass up the idea of the generator not being dual purpose (well not easily) in doubling as a starter motor for the engine but it depends on cost vs weight vs complexity ect

I'm still keen on somehow combining a generator to double as an electric start for the Chinese bicycle motor - we've come this far, we might as well do it properly and create something really special and unique.

Fabian

Yes somehow it slipped my mind that you wanted a starter.
Anyway I found out these aren't cheap.

Not a good soloution.

I should have known.

Looks good , too easy , cost alot.

I'll see if i can find a better soloution.

Having said that, the primary goal is to have a 200+ watt generator incorporated into or attached onto the jackshaft system.
Using the generator in reverse as a starter is secondary and less an important option.

Unfortunately for a small, light and compact generator/motor, the cost will not be cheap, but i'm prepared to pay the required dollars to have the system on my bike, even if it's an expensive option.

Fabian

For a long time small garden tractors used a starter/generator. These are not permanant magnet type devices. I have a starter/generator on my Sears 1968 Custom.
Manufactures went to a much smaller perm. magnet starter motor and a small alternator with a regulator (not all had a regulator)- much more efficient, better starting and cheaper.
Your issue would be the large battery that you would need for starting, the different gear reduction needed for starting verses generating power.
Note that NO ONE has ever done what you would like.
Not motorcycles, tractors, outboard motors- zip.

Back