Prepping a bicycle before installing an engine.

I hope you got some bar end plugs!
Ya, I get the end the plugs with the foam grips, they just weren't on when I took those pics ;-}

I tried a double brake lever.
HUGE grip effort required to stop.

I didn't like it.
I'd rather have front brake only than that.
Odd, most every 2-stroke multi-speed bike I've built has one and I've never had a complaint or problem pulling it myself.
Did you use the SBP dual-pull?
Regardless, NO MB is safe with just one brake in my opinion and I've never sent a bike out with just one.

I love separate brakes way better the 2 in one .but kc s one is self adjusting that's pretty cool .
My 4-stroke builds all have dual levers, easy with no clutch lever to content with, but when you have 2 V or Disc brakes AND a clutch it's a no brainier to me.

The problem with most single speeds are they are over geared.
You can usually go to a much smaller front chain ring and lower the gear, making it easier to pedal.
For a coaster brake single speed bike, I find just changing the rear sprocket much easier and cheaper.
Just go a tooth or two larger, and it's a breeze to do, it's just a retaining ring holding it on.
They are dirt cheap too, my local bike shop will swap me rear sprockets for free.

Actually doing both might be the best way. My current bike is/was a 7 speed, I removed the gear shifter and cable, and put the chain on the largest rear sprocket. It has a "mega range" rear cluster, so the gearing is super low. You can pedal all day and not get anywhere. But it is enough to get the bike moving from a dead stop with the motor. I am not supposed to be putting any stress on my knees. In fact my left knee was supposed to have been replaced some time ago, but due to the fact that I live alone, and my insurance won't pay for care during the initial recovery period, it is not possible. That's why I have a thing for super low gears.

... I am not supposed to be putting any stress on my knees.
In fact my left knee was supposed to have been replaced some time ago.
I can relate.
Both ankles and right hip for me, that's partially why I am building pull-start 4-stroke shifters now, no pedaling required ever, even from a dead stop it rocks, unless of course you run out gas...

2_EmeraldDoneL-1280.jpg

In my opinion, if you have leg issues, as long as you can hold the bike up this is the ticket.

Back