Tubes Puncture Free Tire?

I went by the directions provided with the Tuffys....I believe it specificly stated not to cut the liners, and to let them overlap. No mention of any tape or anything else. I think there is a "nak" to it....lol. I think I got mine in nice and straight this time. The thorn resistant inner tube should resolve any near future issues. I had one in the back, and still haven't had a bit of trouble/flats back there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't play with miracle ideas :p

1. Take spare tire 26 x 2.1(?)
2. Inflate it on wheel
3. Take sharp knife or few paper knife
4. Cut all rubber off and left tire bold,
5. Remove it from wheel, cut off wire which is arround on both sides
6. Cut tire in one place across,
7. Put it inside to main tire (26 x 2.3 maybe?)
8. Cut small part 5 cm or more from another tire which will be missing when you put tires together,
9. Stick everything by duct tape,
10. You can stick sharp corners by duct tape as well,
10a. Use some washing up liquid on sides to put tire straight on rim
11. Put everything on wheel (can be hard)
12. Put tube inside - inflate a little.
13. Put tire on rim (use spoon, table knife piece of metal , not very sharp thing)
14. Inflate to hard rock pressure,
15. Be happy from your new very heavy wheel - but at last you don't get puncture:p

I have 4 Schwalbe Crazy BOB 26x2.3 tires with 2nd tires inside - 0 punctures since that.

That is a good idea albiet a lot of work. It is very good for any one with friction drive. I have found that the friction drive works much better if you can make the tire an rim as solid as possible in all attributes.

Michael

Motorized bikes and rim liners

I believe that any motor bike that goes over 25mph should have a double hull rear rim. I got a quality one for $76 from a shop which included the cassette swap from the old rim. My initial intent in getting it was to get better friction drive grip with less rubber consumption. It worked.

Among the extra benefits of the double wall /hull-ed rim is that you never have to think about an internal flat ever again. The spoke studs are reaccessed between the 2 rim hulls. Also it is a much tighter rim not given to lateral flex.

Michael

Last edited:
I did mine like this, in about a minute:

Take the tire off of the rim. Lay it down on it's side.
Put the Mr. Tuffy's in, open it as wide as you can - it will center itself in the tire vertically. I then put a single piece of masking tape about 4 inches long to hold it there - no tape ever touches the tire, btw.

Now, partially inflate the tube, and put it in. This will hold it in place, and now you can lift and mount the tire without everything falling apart.

I hope that makes sense...it's a "one time job" that should be quick and easy.
Mark

"gett the torch Festus'

Hi Michael,
Actually the problem was that the No-More-Flats solid tube twisted about 90 degrees...it's not a round tube, it's tear-drop shaped. The thinner side was pointing to the sidewall, and popping it out. I was not able to untwist it because I couldn't get the tire back off. (Try getting a tire off that's filled with air!)

MY HANDS STILL HURT, 48 hours later!!!!

I cut it off the rim after 6 hours of fighting, went to Wallyworld, picked up a new Kevlar Comfort tire, the Bell 5mm Slime tube, and a roll of electrical tape. I wrapped the spokes 3 layers thick, then the tube, then a Mr. Tuffy insert...all is good in the world now! (I hope)

Cya
Mark

Funny about that..48hrs after this post I found myself cutting my back tire off. It's like it had shrunk onto the rim. I even had to deploy the Dremel cutting disk to get thru the steel belts. My hands were a bit abused and bloody but I won without wrecking the double thick slime tube. Good thing: i can't find them at my wally marts lately.

Michael

I have no clue as to why I was able to to the front wheel successfully, but not the rear. Were you using the balloon tire that it came with, or a smaller tire like I did?

PS. Front wheel is great, and so far, the back one is, too.

Thanks,
Mark

It was a MTB street slick (1.75) from wally mart last last summer when I could not get the geax. It was always to bear to get on and off; i guess i won't have to wrestle with it again.

Michael

I went with the Bell Kevlar Comfort Tire. They seem good.
Today I came all the way home at 23-25mph...they're working just fine!
I actually TRUST my bike at this point! :)

I did mine like this, in about a minute:

Take the tire off of the rim. Lay it down on it's side.
Put the Mr. Tuffy's in, open it as wide as you can - it will center itself in the tire vertically. I then put a single piece of masking tape about 4 inches long to hold it there - no tape ever touches the tire, btw.

Now, partially inflate the tube, and put it in. This will hold it in place, and now you can lift and mount the tire without everything falling apart.

I hope that makes sense...it's a "one time job" that should be quick and easy.
Mark
That's about what I did, minus the tape, but the tape is a good idea I think. Next time I'll try it.:D

9. Stick everything by duct tape,
I'm liking the duct tape idea best, myself. I think next time I'm gonna use duct tape all the way around, even touching the tire (Why not?). It'll even provide that much extra puncture protection!!

EDIT: Shoot... why even buy Mr. Tuffys when you could just line the inside of the tire with duct tape that won't budge at all. It could even prevent sidewall blowouts too, eh? Duct tape rulez!

Last edited:
Back