Rear drum brake hub. Help!

DieselTech

Local time
6:13 AM
Ok guys I'm looking for a rear drum brake hub off of a Italian moped to use on a bike build
It's a 36 hole hub 90mm drum brake, with a 19mm sprocket offset, 140mm width. My question is what sprocket offset would be better? A 19mm offset or a 25mm offset. Does this hub look like it would work for a motorbike build. The main reason I'm interested in this hub, is it takes minarelli & morini rear sprockets, & you have way more sprocket options. Plus price is a plus 2.
Screenshot_20230222-080931_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230222-080947_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230222-080942_Chrome.jpg
Thanks for any & all help.

19 or 25 depends on how much spread is between the rear drop outs.
Well I got as much spread as I need, if not I'll spread her legs some more. Both hubs are 140mm wide. Just sprocket offset is different.
I'm thinking the 19mm offset might be better, just for the fact it will give more clearance for the chain to clear to rear wheel stays.

If you go with the 19 and need more you can always add a spacer.
If the 25 is too wide you cant take any off.
So I think you’re probably right with the 19.
Nice hub…the drum eliminates squeezing in a disc.
Yeah like a dummy I never thought of that. If I go with the 19mm offset like you said, if more sprocket offset is needed I can add it respectively. Thanks. I might give this hub a try. It's not like its overly expensive.

Cheese & rice does bike shops build wheels anymore. Called 3 different bike shops this morning to build a wheel for me. Lmfao it's like I asked them to reinvent the wheel. 1 shop quoted me $150 labor & $4per spoke. WTF!!!

Cheese & rice does bike shops build wheels anymore. Called 3 different bike shops this morning to build a wheel for me. Lmfao it's like I asked them to reinvent the wheel. 1 shop quoted me $150 labor & $4per spoke. WTF!!!
Sounds about right, which is why I do my own now. I was able to buy all the equipment I needed for around $120 nearly 4 years ago.

Sounds about right, which is why I do my own now. I was able to buy all the equipment I needed for around $120 nearly 4 years ago.
Well you tell them you want 2.8mm or 3mm spokes & they look at you like you are crazy. I got a set of wheels I had made years ago with 2.8mm spokes & it was no big deal for them to build them wheels years ago. I guess i just dont see what the big deal about using 2.8mm or 3mm spokes in a wheel build.

I true my wheels. I have never laced one up but it can’t be too hard once you have the right length spoke.
My method truing is probably not text book but it works.
I started to try building a wheel but instead I bought a set of new wheels all done up.

I’d still like to try it. I haven’t looked but there’s got to be some formula to determine spoke length with a given rim and hub diameter

Back