Reliable CDI?

I found this in an old MotorBicycling forum thread. The moderator posted:

Magneto Coil

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms
1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

Does this sound right? ;-)

Every coil testing thread or video describes measuring between the blue and white wires. We don't use the white wire, so why not measure between the blue and black wires (total resistance through the coil)? It's hard to find consistent information. Are the manufacturer specs available (in English)?

I found this in an old MotorBicycling forum thread. The moderator posted:

Magneto Coil

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms
1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

CDI

Use Ohm Meter High Scale About 200-K
1) Positive lead on BLUE wire and Negative lead on BLACK wire should read infinite (no activity)
2) Positive lead on BLACK wire and Negative lead on BLUE wire. Should be about 130-150 K-ohms
3) Positive lead on Spark Plug wire and negative lead on BLUE wire. Should read between 135-155 K-ohms

Switch to Low Scale 20K
4) Measure between Spark Plug wire and Black lead. Should be about 2.5 - 2.7 K- ohms

Does this sound right? ;-)
That sounds like a load of crap to me, sorry but how can anyone test the cdi with an ohm meter? The cdi has an scr type capacitor an another little diode looking thing the pre coil and secondary coil so by putting an ohm meter between the two wires will not give an accurate reading of anything as the cap is in the circuit trying to saturate before the the coil with no real input other than what it can pull from the meter (if any) as it will with some powered units.

This may help.

Attachments

• 0017.jpg
    0017.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 0023.jpg
    0023.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 160
Im happy to say i don't spend thousands per year like you...I build them right the FIRST time...Hahahahahahaha...Gotcha...lol...I knew you would like that one...lol...DAMIEN

I hope you know im only joking with ya...lol.
It's not fixing them, it's building them. I enjoy using all the tools I bought to create my shop. Need a mill and a lathe, a sheet bender/roller and a spot welder, and a tig, and I'll be set. I wanna hand build the bike around handmade custom engines. So they are all one of a kind bikes.

That sounds like a load of crap to me, sorry but how can anyone test the cdi with an ohm meter? The cdi has an scr type capacitor an another little diode looking thing the pre coil and secondary coil so by putting an ohm meter between the two wires will not give an accurate reading of anything as the cap is in the circuit trying to saturate before the the coil with no real input other than what it can pull from the meter (if any) as it will with some powered units.
only real way to test a cdi is to tear it apart and isolate each component. which isn't worth it for a cdi tht cost a few dollars.

It's not fixing them, it's building them. I enjoy using all the tools I bought to create my shop. Need a mill and a lathe, a sheet bender/roller and a spot welder, and a tig, and I'll be set. I wanna hand build the bike around handmade custom engines. So they are all one of a kind bikes.
You must be like me...Divorced...lol...In my case, Happily so...DAMIEN

You must be like me...Divorced...lol...In my case, Happily so...DAMIEN
I'm unwanted ( refuse to put up with BS), never married. Still can't find a woman I can stand for more than a few hours at a time. I need some brains, I'm a scientist by heart. I appear to be a redneck, and proudly am, but I'm a redneck with a thirst for information. I am deeply in love with the quantum realm.

I'm unwanted ( refuse to put up with BS), never married. Still can't find a woman I can stand for more than a few hours at a time.
That would have been my second guess if the first was not correct...lol.
I need some brains, I'm a scientist by heart. I appear to be a redneck, and proudly am, but I'm a redneck with a thirst for information. I an deeply in love with the quantum realm.
That pretty much sums that up for me as well.

If i want to be constantly screamed at by females...ive got three in my house...they're called cats...lol...much easier to put up with...lol...DAMIEN

Back