Russian engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had speeds between 45-50km/h with those russian engines made during fifties and sixties and their desing hasn't changed much since then. It has to be some adjustment problem. I can point out two possible problems - fuel mixture is wrong, probably too rich and ignition is too late or early (more like late).
You can adjust ignition with two screwdrivers - with one, turn cranckshaft and put other into cylinder to measure pistons position. Ignition moment is when contacts are disconnected. It is trial and error job.
For fuel mixture I had my own method - i turned fuel mixture screw out several turnes (don't remember how many, but to be sure that mixture is too rich. engine has to be warm), then starting riding wot and at the same time slowly turning screw clockwise (screw had bigger head and spirng for that purpose). When the micture is right, you'll hear and feel the difference.
And overheating doesn't break those engines, just let it cool al little after it's stopped, then start again and go.
I have them stop several times because of overheating during warm summer times riding wot.

Last edited by a moderator:
srdavo, you have some pretty cool bikes!

Love the look of the Russian engines and Hammer, that's one cool little 20-incher you have over there!

What a great thread... so full of cool, obscure stuff. I saved the pic of the two-page article in the Russian mag.

:thumbup:

One of the things you might want to think about is that the cylinder is Iron and the piston is Aluminum. On the happy engine it is all the same. On our Hodaka's back in the day. we had to make clearance for the piston. And a good piston is tapered, (IE smaller at the top). The piston will swell faster than the Cyl and stick to the liner, that is why you can let it cool down and start up again. I don't remember the clearance but I think it was around .004 in. Those engines are a rotary valve engine, (very restrictive) I have seen them turned into crankcase inducted reed valve motors, and race them at around 80 MPH. Have fun Dave
PS: Thanks Hammer for the fun. and the dimensions for a pipe. Keep us posted. My son studied Russian, and can read Bulgarian. I will show him the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back