Safety Safety & Maintainence Tips from MB.c's Members

Large Filipino, i totally agree with you. having the skills, balance and some good reaction time will help. after all the motor bike is a bike. even stoppies and wheelies help to get a good balance.

large'...i also agree.

before i let anyone motor around on my bike, i make sure they can safely handle it while pedaling first :cool:

exibit a

All --

Somewhere, there should be a notice to tighten clutch screws. I'm talking about the screws that retain element (1) in this diagram: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=5977&highlight=clutch+diagram

Look at the attached image, the clutch screw wore a pattern in my clutch cover!!! Also, there seems to be only one screw in place, should there be two?

same thing happened 2 me but worse... http://motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8198:???:

Before every ride,grab your happy time engine and see if it will wiggle side to side,up and down and foward and back. If it does even a little,tighten down the mounts. Also check your frame for cracks if it wiggles yet it seems very tight.
Also your chain will get stretched in time. If it's too loose you will be pedaling while crossing a busy street and when you let go of your clutch to get going your wheel will lock up causing an embarrasing situation among the motorists looking at you.
800 miles now on my Happy time and you think the chain would be stretched out already. Nope. Actually I think my idler wheel is starting to wear out,causing the loose chain. And yes,my engine wiggled a little..started vibrating at speeds above 15 mph.
My tool kit and 15 minutes on the side of that bike trail today saved me some headaches. But I should have done all this BEFORE I set off to riding.

Use a chainguard. While testing the chain and sprocket tightness on my bike; the chain came off, wrapped around the sprocket and snapped the master link. If the engine was running and the metal had hit someone they would not be best pleased!!

BSA

Weather and Mother Nature

Ok, so I pulled my gxh50 off of the trike and put it back on my MTB while I wait for my NuVinci hubs. I still needed to get around town, and get my fix of riding. For about an hour I did some running around and was heading home. What a great ride! The snow has started to melt and the streets are just a bit wet in places but, the sun was shinning and the birds were birding and the squirrels were squirreling,,, I thought it was spring! The temp on monday was in the low 40's and it was great. Headed up a mile long grade running north and south,and where this street dead ends, on the south side of the east west street that I was going to it looked,,,,wet. Wrong,,, the temp in the shade must have been about 10 degrees cooler cause it was Ice. It happened so fast, I don't remember going down, I don't know how long I lay there, I do remember having the bike on top/underneath me in the middle and heading the opposite direction I was traveling. Lucky it was a side street and not much traffic. That was Monday, all that afternoon I had a slight headache. Tuesday I woke up and dang my shoulder was hurting and my ribs on the left side and a headache too. Today after my noon nap I am feeling much better. No I didn't have my helmet on, because it wouldn't fit over my watch cap. (well its the only excuse I have). Moral of the story,,,,Watch the weather and the road conditions,,, Always. Oh yeah, and wear your helmet.

Papasaun,it sounds like you got a concussion. I'm glad your feeling better now though,but maybe a checkup might be in order.

Here's a maintenance tip that's so obvious to me but maybe not to everyone.
I don't care how perfectly running and tuned your bike is. Don't stop checking out flea markets,thrift stores and garage sales for that 20 dollar entire bike steal or that broken bike in the trash.
Whether it's a mountain bike,cruiser or even a BMX bike,if the seller is practically giving it away,snag it!
Why?
Unlimited supply of PARTS!
You bent a rim? No worries!
How about that broken lever? No worries!
Woah. I cracked my frame. NO WORRIES!!
Then especially on them mountain bikes there's all sorts of little parts you can use on your ride.
Even a BMX bike you can use the handlebars for a better sitting arangement,the gooseneck,the cranks,pedals,the chain even. The older BMX bikes have that long reach side pull brake assembly. It's the right size for that springer front end to get some braking up front.
Don't stop looking.
My bike,for example is a product of 4 different bikes found here and there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I duno math much but I do know that a wheel with 36 spokes will make happy time sprocket install with no hassle.(no spokes getting in the way of the bolts)
Then I thought "mmmmm...sprocket has 9 holes.36 spokes...that's divisable by 9."
This is just a theory but if you have let's say 8 holes in your sprocket then you want a rim with 32 spokes. Or 40 spokes....
...that's all theory..but...anyway. 36 spokes for a 9 hole sprocket is an epic win.

Back