Scooterguy Mount With Tanaka 47R Engine

5-7

Sounds Good, Making Progress. Maybe Adjust The Front Derailer Inboard A Bit.

If You Seen A Red Ford, That Is My Current Squeeze!! Lol, That Is A Street Driven Pro Street Narrowed & Tubbed With A 514 Cubic Inch 600 Hp.

Raced Ford For Yrs, Finished With Gm. They Are All Great . The Guy That Furnished The Pic For The Racing Paper, Never Passed Me Or Won A Champingship, To My Knowledge!! Quite sure, i was passing him. But I did get passed too many times!!lol

Tripple quads would be far out!! just kidding. Trip two venturi carbs are smooth and eaiser on fuel. I ran dual quads on a caddy, sounded like a jet taking off , with my air cleaners off. I put that motor in 8 different cars, including a 57 chev. It ended up in a 53 Studeabaker "Champion Coupe", a racey looking car for those days. it had the Caddy/La Salle 3 speed stick shift , Ron

Attachments

• 1142.jpg
    1142.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 82 FIREBIRD.jpg
    82 FIREBIRD.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 73 MACH 1 454 CI.jpg
    73 MACH 1 454 CI.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
LOL, Ron, you're just like Hawaii Ed and me, hotrods at heart! Yep, I saw your pix of Pro-Street Ford.

Those '53-'54 Stude coupes had styling way ahead of their time! I remember articles about "Studillac" conversions.

I rode my bike to work; it threw the chain about 10 times! Now I don't even turn the engine off, just grab and hold onto the engine drive chain with one hand and reinstall the bike chain with my left hand.

The 72t sprocket is in the mail!

Ouch!

Okay, maybe I shouldn't grab the chain.:sick:

In between chain tosses, I loosened the motor mounts and tightened the engine drive chain. I also adjusted the front derailleur. No help.

Sometimes, the wobbly chain would cause the cassette to shift gears on its own. "Hey, I didn't shift!"

I've always noticed that my cheap Chinese freewheel($12.95) was loose, so both chainrings wobble. One possible solution would be to install SBP's HD freewheel($69.95). Of course the HD freewheel would have to be drilled for the 4-bolt pattern, but do-able.

5-7

You Will Not Be Drilling The Freewheel Adapter, That Is Some Hard Stuff!! Hopefully The Sprockets Will Be Softer.
Ron

Yeah, I'll buy the 30-tooth chainring and sprocket from SBP. Then I'll only have to drill my 72t 8mm chainring.

I calculated the gearing with 11t/72t and 30t chainring:

1st - 34.9...usable

2nd - 28.36

3rd - 22.91

4th - 19.64

5th - 17.45

6th - 15.27

7th - 13.09...unused

8th - 12.00...unused

Hopefully, pedalling should be easier.

I hope this works.:cry:

On the ride home from work, the chain must've dropped 20 times! Besides that, the carb's throttle stop loosened up. It took me almost two hours to travel 5 miles, with all the repairs. Finally, the chainring bolt jammed a block from home, so i walked it the rest of the way.

I took Ron's advice and removed one 10mm nut/spacer. This moved the front chainrings 1/8" closer to each other. Then I realized that no amount of adjusting the front derailleur would prevent the chain from falling off BOTH sides. Soooo, I reinstalled the SBP Jump-Stop chain guide to prevent the chain from falling inward in 1st and 2nd gear. Then I installed the front derailleur directly ABOVE the Jump-Stop to prevent the chain drop outward in 7th and 8th gear!:unsure:

I just need to clearance the Jump-Stop's guide at the bottom, so that it'll clear the chainrings' protruding bolts.:geek:

This should DEFINITELY prevent the chain from falling off.:geek:

5-7,

Sounds like your gearing will be very close to what I run after installing the 72/30 chain ring combo....................

8th gear my final drive ratio is 11:1
1st gear my final drive ratio is 30:1

I do not really care too much about top speed, I love acceleration though, and mine has that. I know mine goes over 35 mph in 6th gear and not floored with a 52cc stock everything waterpump engine from HF. It is too fast as it is.

Yesterday I rode mine 60 miles without any incidents of a pedal or drive chain falling off. I do not have a front deraileur or a jump stop.

Hopefully the 30T chainring will add enough tension to keep the pedal chain on.

I've also got the HD White freewheel from SBP. It is a solid piece, well crafted, and I can tell it will last a long time.

Wish ya success,

I know what it is like to be where you are at. It is fustrating, but when you get it figured out, and get all the bugs/adjustments worked out, you will probably get bored.

After I got mine to where it is at now after so much tinkering and tooling, I was like..........................now what am I going to do? It was like a full time job keeping the thing rolling when I was going thru the bug/adjustment stage. Then when I got it nailed down, and no more problems, it didn't seem as a challenge anymore.

Anyway, sounds like you are in the middle of the tunnel, you should start seeing the light at the end soon. It just might take a little while to get to it.

takes a whiloe, but you are getting there. I have not read of too mnay folks running the scooterguy setup, but there has to be a way....

Of course a Nuvinci does not move around as it shifts, that would be an elegant solution ;)

Success At Last!

Went for a shakedown cruise tonight. Engine started up much easier, maybe it's my starting techniques. Took the bike up and down the boulevard, maybe a couple miles, flats, uphill, downhill.

Everything went VERY well, no chain drop at all. Shifting with absolutely no problems. The combination of Jump-Stop, front derailleur and removing 1/8" spacer seems to have done the trick.:geek:

Knock on wood!:giggle:

Tomorrow I'll ride my bike to work, which is 5 miles one way. Mostly flats, so I'll see how she pulls on the flats.

Back