Shifter Kit from www.sickbikeparts.com

HI Guys,

SBP was nice enough to send me information and a template of the chain rings used in their shifter kits.

With that, I will be able to make custom sized chain rings (also custom colors if you want them color anodized) for their shifter kits....

I bought one of their kits and I will post pics of the stock VS aftermarket chain rings when I get a chance....Hopefully first part of next week.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

You can always pretend to pedal. I use a mega range cassette and love it. If you go with the double 44 tooth chainrings. the 9 tooth on the jackshaft and the mega range cassette that will get you back to the stock configuration gearing wise and you should be able to pedal assist.

Then there is Andrew's option which at that point is wide open. Just tell him what you want and he can do it.

I'm excited to see these customized chain rings and install it to my shifter kit. My engine still have problems climbing a 30-degree hill. What would be the smallest number of teeth you can fit on the freewheel crank?

Another question:

I have had a good look at the design of the shifter kit (great work guys) - but would like to know if it is possible to have a 44 Tooth driving the rear cassette rather than the 36 (possibly with a 9 tooth on the jackshaft rather than the 10) - as I find the cadence at 50kph a bit excessive at 44T - at 36T I don't think I could pedal fast enough to keep up!

I did some sums on the ratios: Standard/44T/44T+9T

Low: 1:0.1415 / 1:0.1730 / 1:0.1557
High: 1:0.4375 / 1:0.5347 / 1:0.4813

I'm really interested in the kit, just need different gearing options :)

This is to be going on a bike with a 66cc rather than the 48cc, so a 10 tooth would probably be OK to keep the rpm low - the extra torque should help up hills.

I tried this when I had issues aligning my chain...It does'nt work that good. I was only able to shift to 2nd gear. After that the engine does'nt pull anymore. But I was able to get 60kph++ on a downhill...

Techno,
Please clarify, you did not run double 44t chainrings you swapped the 36 and 44 correct which is why even with the 9t on the jackshaft it was still geared way too tall. Running double 44's with the 9 tooth and mega range cassette would work well.

But, let us all get one thing straight. These engines only put out so much power and unless you rebuild them, modify them etc, that will not change. With a limited amount of power you can only expect so much. Lets say you have a stock engine and stock 44t gear. Can you climb a 30 degree incline unassisted? No you cannot, with the shift kit you can easily. How fast can your stock engine go with a 44t before you explode it from over revving, 30 mph? With the shift kit you can do 35mph and the engine is barely working. So my point is, unless you provide more horse power, no matter what gearing you do, your speed and climbing ability will be limited to the amount of power that the engine puts out.

Now with that said everyone's engine and riding terrain is different, so options are always a good thing which is why we offer the 9 and 11 tooth jackshaft sprocket. We feel that if your engine is in good working order these option should take care of anyone's riding style and terrain.

As far as pedal assist goes, it just wasn't how the kit was designed. It was designed to allow you to make your motorized bike more versatile as a machine allowing you to climb hills that you either could not have in the stock configuration, or would have "had" to pedal, and to improve your ability to cruise at higher speeds without over revving the engine. That doesn't mean that the gearing cannot be altered to allow this and it is something that we are working on but is not very high on our priority list as only about 2% of our customers have noted this as something they would like to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI All,

Since I had been contacted by several people regarding the possibility of alternate chain rings for the Shifter Kit, I decided to make a few today and though I'd post some pics for those of you out there who want to experiment with different gearing....

The pics show a 36T , a 44T and a 50T chain ring.

For weight conscious people, we will be putting lightening holes in the 36T sprocket for production models.

The pictures are of our hobbed sprockets.

I will be making red anodized CNC'd chain rings this weekend for my bike (I want to do some red chain rings since some of the parts on the bike for my next build are red)....

The CNC models may be a bit lighter since I will be able to make bigger cutouts (The hobbing machine can only make circles but I may experiment with "sausage" cutouts which the hobbing machine can also do).

The Chain ring weights are as follows:

Stock: 36T weighs 9.3 OZ Our Super Sprockets : 3.3 OZ (w/o lightening holes)
Stock: 44T weighs 15.0 OZ Our Super Sprockets : 4.2 OZ
Our 50T Super Sprocket : 5.5 OZ

NOTE: We can make pretty much any size you could reasonably need. For pricing look
to our myspace page at: myspace.com/kingssalesandservice....These chain rings are made using
the same materials and care as our rear Super Sprockets.

Have fun!

Andrew

PS - I'll try to take better pictures next time....don't know why the flash didn't light up the sprocket details
better.....

Attachments

• DSC04882sm.JPG
    DSC04882sm.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 303
  • DSC04880sm.JPG
    DSC04880sm.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 318
Andrew,
That is so sweet. You even remembered to put in the holes for the chain guard.

I want a set of blue ones for my bike.

Back