Skyhawk Build Journal

Discussion in 'Photos & Bicycle Builds' started by Hello Moto!, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

So I thought I'd start a thread and do a kind of journal as I acquire parts and build this thing from the frame up. Right now, as you can see, I basically have just the frame. The headset cups are pressed and I installed a sealed bottom bracket with the help of an adapter. This will probably be a longer process due to funding but I will update as I go along. I think my next step will be a set of forks. I have a stem to mount once I get the forks.

Stop by and check out the progress from time to time. Thanks!

IMAG1268.jpg IMAG1267.jpg

45u likes this.

2. 45u

45u Active Member

What adapter did you use? I will be checking in on this build. Looking forward to see this build come together.

3. Hello Moto!

It's a Truvativ American to Euro bottom bracket adapter. You put that in then you can use a sealed bottom bracket. Add a square taper crankset and your set. Thanks 45u

45u likes this.
  4. Hello Moto!

45u likes this.
  5. 45u

45u Active Member

I know that song. LOL

6. Hello Moto!

I thought it was fitting lol.

45u likes this.
  7. Hello Moto!

Man do I have something nice in store for this aluminum frame ;)

8. Hello Moto!

Just ordered my Skyhawk Motor! I have everything I need to assemble this bike now once the motor gets here aside from a couple aftermarket parts I like to use. I'll start getting some pictures in here once I am finished with my frame. WooHoo!

FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  9. FurryOnTheInside

FurryOnTheInside Active Member

That frame looks "fat". Is that a 150mm rear facing forked wheelmount and a 4" tyre clearance? O_O

10. Hello Moto!

Nope it's a 135mm

11. Hello Moto!

Finally got my frame finished. After about 10 hours of wet sanding and 2 hours buffing and polishing I settled for this. Not a mirror finish but I'm happy with it. I also have the bike partially assembled. Have a heavy duty wheel set with 11G spokes and coaster brake, SR Suntour suspension forks, stem and handlebars, angled crankset with pedals and a seat. My Grubee engine is on the way! I have a few parts I still wanna get but I'm gettin close.

IMAG1309.jpg IMAG1311.jpg IMAG1318.jpg

FurryOnTheInside likes this.
  12. Hello Moto!

Got the GT5A mounted along with the throttle, clutch and dual brake lever and CDI. I'm waiting on the 44t rear hub adapter and a Dellorto clone carb. Once I get the adapter I'll cut the chains and then I'll install my dual V-brakes. Dual V-brakes and a coaster I should have no trouble stopping. I also have an aftermarket chain tensioner like I use on my other bike that I'm going to install on this engine once I start fitting the chains. Not much longer and I'll be ready to roll!

IMAG1337.jpg

Doug Foster and FurryOnTheInside like this.
  13. Hello Moto!

Well I got impatient waiting on the rear hub adapter so I decided to finish the engine assembly and get this thing started. I was successful on my first start last night after some time spent fighting the damn thing. Getting the first start on this engine was a lot more work than my other engine lol. It took some starting fluid to get that initial fire up and now it starts first pull every time! Yes I installed a pull start! I can't live without it lol. So now that it is running, all I'm waiting for is the rear hub adapter. Once I get that I'll install the chains and the V-brakes and it's go time!

IMAG1356.jpg IMAG1357.jpg

14. 45u

45u Active Member

Looking good. Biggest hold up I have on mine is wheels have just about everything else.

15. Hello Moto!

Thank you sir. I've been waiting on a rear hub adapter. It's supposed to be here today so I might be able to go for a ride this evening lol

16. Frankfort MB's

Frankfort MB's Well-Known Member

Looks good!!! How does the motor seem to run on the bike? It seemed pretty smooth on mine.

17. Hello Moto!

Well I don't have the drive chains installed yet cuz I'm waiting on a hub adapter for the rear wheel. I do have the motor running though and it seems better than my eBay kit that I had on my other bike. Once I get that adapter today I'll get the chains hooked up and I'll let you know how it runs. It sucks..I coulda been riding this last week if I wasn't waitin on that dang part lol. I won't build a bike without the rear hub sprocket adapter though..I just won't ;)

18. Frankfort MB's

I'll probably buy one if I do a larger engine.... Until then send me some more rags;)

19. Hello Moto!

Dude they are worth the 60 bucks just so you don't have to install the dam rag lol. But seriously, they are so much better lol.

20. Frankfort MB's

That's 60$ I don't have ;)