Soon to be Stingray owner

Dynamo for bicycles is for bicycle speeds. When your M/B get past 30mph the dynamo makes too much voltage and blows the 6v bulb. Never had one on a M/B but that's what I hear.

Dynamo for bicycles is for bicycle speeds. When your M/B get past 30mph the dynamo makes too much voltage and blows the 6v bulb. Never had one on a M/B but that's what I hear.

A $2.50 shipped from China voltage step down voltage regulator would stop that. One I see can run 4.2V-40V input and output 1.2V-37V. Make sure output is 12.5V and no so long as it's 12.5V or more, the lights will work.

Check out the video on this listing. That sucker is BRIGHT! And you can get it with a horn too, all for $12 shipped. It's 12v so it would need a battery, of course
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32915658497.html?

Last edited:
The blue one is in stock again and the orange is sold out. It actually has a silver painted fork and chain guard, kind of nice.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Sting-Ray-Bicycle-single-speed-20-Inch-wheels-blue/272821423

But I'll stick with the orange one, makes it look more "vintage" IMO. Plus it's more unique, I feel.

Regarding lights? Eh, I'll probably stick to $10-15 rechargeable bike lights from ebay. If I start putting motorcycle grade equipment on it, that gives the cops more reason to say it's like a motorcycle.

$15 for this fancy rechargeable headlight isn't bad. Heck it even has a digital speedometer and "bell" too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Rechar...aution-Bicycle-Lights-w-Bell-USA/143281009881

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Regarding lights? Eh, I'll probably stick to $10-15 rechargeable bike lights from ebay. If I start putting motorcycle grade equipment on it, that gives the cops more reason to say it's like a motorcycle.
Short from putting a M/C engine on your bike. I don't think the Cops will think your M/B is a M/C
Your already gonna have a hand throttle and a clutch lever, that's M/C grade. Actually the more DOT approved accessories ya got the better. Whatever makes your bike more street legal the better for the Cops to leave you alone and what a better way to do that than use Moped, Scooter or M/C parts. You've seen my bike, I tried to make it look like a small M/C on purpose. I even showed it to the Cops and asked them what they thought it classified as and they told me they call it a Moped. Motor W/pedals. I even got pulled over by a Cop. He didn't want to check my reg or insurance or look for a M/B sticker. The Cop wanted to look at my bike. He thought it was COOL and said he never seen one like mine before.
You worry about the Cops too much. Just don't ride around with a beer in your hand and you'll be fine.

Moped, Scooter or M/C accessories.

Attachments

• DSCF9823.JPG
    DSCF9823.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF8378.JPG
    DSCF8378.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 245
  • DSCF9826.JPG
    DSCF9826.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 211
Short from putting a M/C engine on your bike. I don't think the Cops will think your M/B is a M/C
Your already gonna have a hand throttle and a clutch lever, that's M/C grade. Actually the more DOT approved accessories ya got the better. Whatever makes your bike more street legal the better for the Cops to leave you alone and what a better way to do that than use Moped, Scooter or M/C parts. You've seen my bike, I tried to make it look like a small M/C on purpose. I even showed it to the Cops and asked them what they thought it classified as and they told me they call it a Moped. Motor W/pedals. I even got pulled over by a Cop. He didn't want to check my reg or insurance or look for a M/B sticker. The Cop wanted to look at my bike. He thought it was COOL and said he never seen one like mine before.
You worry about the Cops too much. Just don't ride around with a beer in your hand and you'll be fine.

Such cops are few and far between. The ones here about 13 years ago were snarky about the high quality goped I had but they couldn't do anything since I was legally allowed to ride it under the law (under 50cc, auto trans). It's a mix bag of reactions you will get. My experience is that cops are always trying to flex their power over others when they stop them and don't like it when they can't do anything about whatever they stopped you for. That's why so many abuse their power. Those are the ones who don't suck it up and admit they were wrong, even only internally.

You've already found and showed alot of parts I don't think you have any problems finding parts.
The accessories I use requires 12v Like I told you my Whizzer has a Stator in the flywheel and makes it's own 12v power.
But here is a link to where ya can find parts like mine www.whizzercruzzerparts.com The parts are kinda $$$ since Whizzer went out of business. Cruzzer is a clone and the $$$ went up. But if ya search E bay you can find all kinds of new cheep good stuff.

You've already found and showed alot of parts I don't think you have any problems finding parts.
The accessories I use requires 12v Like I told you my Whizzer has a Stator in the flywheel and makes it's own 12v power.
But here is a link to where ya can find parts like mine www.whizzercruzzerparts.com The parts are kinda $$$ since Whizzer went out of business. Cruzzer is a clone and the $$$ went up. But if ya search E bay you can find all kinds of new cheep good stuff.

Ahh, gotcha.

I'm leaning back towards the idea of using a big beach cruiser with a rear rack for a 4 cycle engine kit, which is what my plan was until I saw the Stingray for cheap. Problem is, you can't hardly even BUY a new beach cruiser right now. They're all sold out from a lack of imports, I guess. I mean, I don't need any of it right now so it can all wait.

Pawn shops here sell bikes for roughly 40-60% of new prices, so that might be a good way to get a bike for kitting. There is a closeout store here where I bought a new Bell 26" road tire for $3 and 2 new 26" tubes for 50 cents/each a while back, due to my 26" gas bike plans... since I figured I might buy a used bike that might need new rubber. I try to keep my eye on FB marketplace too.

I wanted to at least put in my order for the Stingray and decide from there since I wanted one, regardless. I might keep it as a pedal bike for times I can't or don't want to use the gas bike. Last year, I saw a 1970s girls Stingray knock-off (actual pic below) at an indoor flea market for $50 and OOHHH was it tempting, but I didn't get it. I didn't like the single pole frame design. It's fine for a 60-80lb kid, but it might not hold up so well to my ~155lb self.

Back