Sprockets Space in Rag Joint & Chain Resistance

Ahhh yes, that's a good idea. I think the biggest issue with my situation is the bike's weight and all of the stupid stairs, doors, and 180 degree bends lol. It's nice living on the third level, but it has its inconveniences too. :D

Ahhh yes, that's a good idea. I think the biggest issue with my situation is the bike's weight and all of the stupid stairs, doors, and 180 degree bends lol. It's nice living on the third level, but it has its inconveniences too. :D

What's the specific danger in locking up outdoors? Maybe even a quick release front wheel, pull it off and it can get significantly easier to manipulate the bike around corners.

What's the specific danger in locking up outdoors?
Oh, there isn't. I have a car though, so my only intended purpose for the bike is for camping and such. Come the end of summer, and after probably just a couple camping trips, I'll probably take it all apart and store it in my closet. And so I should only have to take it through the dastardly hallways several times this summer, so it's no big deal. In my earlier posts I was only ranting about the trip downstairs, not actually needing a solution per se. :D I should have clarified lol.

Ah, I forgot to reply to the comment on the brakes and handlebar crowding:

Removing the front brake will at least triple your stopping distance.
Good point, I know weight shifts forward during breaking and the rear wheel loses a lot of traction. When I was much younger, I had a bike with only a rear coaster brake. My dad and I would make a game, I'd get the bike going as fast as possible and then slam on the brakes to make the longest skid mark possible. They got pretty long, like over 25 feet. And that was on concrete!

My rationale behind wanting to have only the rear brake is that, because the dirt roads I'll be riding on will have poor traction, it will be a lot easier for the front wheel to lock up, leading to a loss of control. But yeah, I think I'll just play with the arrangement until I get something that works, so I can keep both brakes.

Ah, I forgot to reply to the comment on the brakes and handlebar crowding:

Good point, I know weight shifts forward during breaking and the rear wheel loses a lot of traction. When I was much younger, I had a bike with only a rear coaster brake. My dad and I would make a game, I'd get the bike going as fast as possible and then slam on the brakes to make the longest skid mark possible. They got pretty long, like over 25 feet. And that was on concrete!

My rationale behind wanting to have only the rear brake is that, because the dirt roads I'll be riding on will have poor traction, it will be a lot easier for the front wheel to lock up, leading to a loss of control. But yeah, I think I'll just play with the arrangement until I get something that works, so I can keep both brakes.
Do you have the clutch lever with the locking button on the top or (little lever) on the front? That lever makes a big difference in the ease of setting up the left hand side of the bars, IME, and it's well worth getting the front button one (easily recognised by the red insert). :)
IMG_20170524_192501.jpg

Hmmm... Not sure! I just have the standard clutch lever that came with the kit, it has a button for holding the clutch open. It's still pretty easy to move around the bars, though.

Back