Speedometer info

MaxGlide

Local time
8:40 AM
Hello all,

I just bought a vintage JC Higgins speedo online and am looking for a cable and gear.

My question is; are the speedometer heads generic? By this I mean can you get a cable and gear from any 26' bike and put it on (as long as the threads match up) or is the gearing inside of the speedo different for 20', 24', 26' bicycles?

Thanks..... Wayne

What is wrong with yours? If it is the cable inside I know that years ago when I was a kid they made a speedometer cable as all were cables and not electronic. If you need the cable call a few auto parts and what you are looking for is a 60's vintage auto speedometer cable insert (kit, you cut to length). If you can't find one at your local auto parts, try J.C. Whitney mail order. I bought a old Cruiser today from a thrift store for $20.00. It is my current project, as I've been looking for one...It has the vintage speedometer and the large azz seat. I got the bike for less then I could buy either one. This is just one seller, the first that has cable inserts, so I don't know if there might be a better price from a different seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPEE...emQQimsxZ20090806?IMSfp=TL0908061910006r26706

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
i bought a "retro" speedo off a guy on e-bay. it's brand new, but has a vintage look to it (i.e. all plastic).
i reads in Kilometers which isn't too bad but i would have rather had it read in mph.
anyway, i hooked it up and it worked fine for the first 12 kilometers.
by the way, i checked it against my friends car, and the speedo was surprisingly accurate...i could bury it at 60 kph.
well, after it hit the 12 kilometer mark it quit working.
i found that the plastic drive gear that hooks to the front rim came apart internally, and the gears were chewed to bits (plastic gears inside a plastic case).
the only part that isn't plastic on the whole set up is the cable. i paid like $13.00 for it, but i thought that it would last longer than it did. i had it on my bike for 2 days before it quit working.

Moptorpsycho, check out the attached photo. Is it the same as the speedo you bought off eBay. I've read nothing but bad things about them. Sounds like you had the same problem that everyone else has had with them. They work for a few miles or Km and the break. I was looking at them, reaseached and deicided to stay away.
Maxglide, the answer to your question about the speedo you have. Some of the older models had generic head units and the specific calibration was done with the hub/gear assembly on the end of the cable that hooks up to your front axle and wheel. Some had specific head units. Sorry, but I don't know about the specific model that you have.

Attachments

• speedo.jpg
    speedo.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
porkchop, that's the exact speedo that i got.
the seller is excellent and i had it 2 days after purchasing it...fast and excellent service.
the speedo on the other hand is cheaply made and will not last very long on a bike that will go 30 + mph.
i think it would last if you were able to keep the speed down to 5-10 mph. (like by putting on a peddle only bike)
i think the higher speeds cause too much stress on the plastic parts, and they fail quickly.

I've got a digital schwinn that the CDI don't screw up! Maybe you could put it into the housing if you want the reto look?

MaxGlide, please keep us posted on your results. I've been in the market for an old Schwinn speedo for quite some time now. They are hard to come by in a complete set up and in good shape. I have noticed there is a guy on eBay that sells rebuilt heads with and without the cables from time to time. Just keep shopping man. Good luck.

JC Higgins Speedo

Hi all,

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. The seller tells me it works fine when he hooks a drill to it. Spins fine and the needle moves as it is supposed to.

The thing is that there is no cable or gear so while I am looking for a vintage cable system I was wondering if I could use a newer set up?

So if anyone has a cable and gear for a 26 inch wheel let me know.

Cheers..... Wayne

PS: I pick up the Whizzer on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Back