Starfire GT50 engine fires up but stalls prematurely

Alright, well, as far as I can tell (I've always found plug testing kind of difficult since my bike has no stand) I got a small accidental electric shock from holding the plug slightly wrong (no boot) with what I was covering it with, so it's obviously getting voltage.

Voltage doesn't equal spark though, right?

Is it worth my while to go out and buy a new CDI and spark plug at this point? Sure it's only $20, but from the $20 lots ive spent over this project, i'm *well* over budget lol. So if it wont actually help...

*sigh* One day I hope to actually have a running bike for more than 3 days! :D

I got a small accidental electric shock from holding the plug slightly wrong (no boot) with what I was covering it with, so it's obviously getting voltage.

Voltage doesn't equal spark though, right?

Small shock? If it was not enough to make your arm twitch then it is probably not enough. I would recheck all connections, and the wire. It is your 20 and it might just need the wire, but after shipping costs (if one is not available locally) you might be better off ordering a new CDI, and a spare cable. Keep the old one if you are unsure if it is really bad and try the cable first. Worst case is that you end up with an extra CDI.

Mike, it sounds like you didn't grab the wire quite hard enough.
Best is to wet your hand and stand in a puddle for the test.
After a few years experience, you can easily determine the voltage by how high you jump.

In reality, try to get a helper to hold up the seat and spin the wheel, lay the plug on the head but don't touch it, just watch it. I don't like shocks either.
(You should have a nice blue spark, not yellow.)

As an after-thought, I strongly recommend buying a centre-stand. I bought mine for kick-starting but find it invaluable for working on the bike. (Stops it falling over, too.)

Last edited:
Best is to wet your hand and stand in a puddle for the test.
After a few years experience, you can easily determine the voltage by how high you jump.

HAHA Steve! You're a cruel, cruel man heh.

I obviously grabbed it with something but it seemed as though what ever I grabbed it with (just a bit of rag) was still conductive.. As for making my whole arm twitch, because I was holding it with two fingers, as far as im concerned it makes sense itd just go through my hand ( in one finger, out the other ).

I can get one locally, so that's not a problem, but it would be my third cheap *** CDI so far.. and i've only ridden it like 5 times. Is it possible for it to be broken and still put out voltage was my question.

In a word, yes.
For whatever reasons, sometimes they fail to produce a strong enough spark for starting even when there's a voltage present.
In some cases, there'll be a visible spark but under compression it breaks down.

I wonder why they keep failing, if that is the case?

To be honest its always the cable that fails, not the cdi as far as I know..

Especially the boot, the entire cable seems to be *incredibly low quality*.. Are there better ones around somewhere, because to me they all seem to be identical, but then it could just be because they're indescript little black boxes heh.

I've messaged my distributor, hopefully i'll be able to pick up a new plug and cdi today anyway.

I just really really hope this isn't going to end up like the last issue, taking 20,000 hours and 80 forum posts to fix, for all of our sakes heh.

Thanks guys

Most good independent Harley shops sell quality copper core spark plug wires. Most shops that have been around for a while will have them used, and may give you one for free or darned near free. If there are any near your neighborhood it might be worth a try.

Beautiful, new cdi and plug, $33 later and i'm back on the road.

See you guys in two days when it breaks again, haha

That was quick. Well done.
If this one fails as well, I'd be looking for a deeper cause, such as an intermittent short from the blue wire to ground.
Fingers crossed.

Heh thanks

It was running as normal until I put some fuel in, and I didn't do one thing I always do, which is tip the can about a bit to ensure its well mixed..

It's now running a bit rougher for some reason and seems to lose a bit of power ever now and then.

Would this likely be too much oil or too little oil? and iif so, which?

Back