Starrman15's vent

"There's a Robin in tree!!"

Everybody needs a good chuckle every now & then.....
SO be prepared to laugh your "you know what's off" !!!

This is what I have to go through to completely fill the Robins fuel tank up!

Pic re-sizing program courtesy of azkronic!
Way to go !!

Starrman15

Attachments

• mini-re-fueling 1.jpg
    mini-re-fueling 1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 285
  • mini-re-fueling 2.jpg
    mini-re-fueling 2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 291
  • mini-Re-fueling 3.jpg
    mini-Re-fueling 3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 280
Yes, Starr, it does look like an ordeal....

If it were me, I would attach a short "hoe-handle" type setup on the corner of that building, about 3 feet off the ground, hook the bike there for filling up.

You could buy a large metal shelf bracket, with a block or a bend, on the end to cradle the bike.

That would avoid the yellow jackets nesting in that tree.

Last edited:
:cool:thanks for the chuckles, StarrMann. it's as if you ran into the tree and flew over the handlebars. ROTF!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanaka 40cc

Hey Star , I picked up a GEBE Tanaka 40 kit a few weeks back. I needed the extra power more than anything. My friend has a Tanaka 33 cc kit and it just won't hack it on some of the massive hills/ mountians here in the Ohio valley where I live. I'm right across from Wheeling WV on the Ohio side up above bridegport Oh. We have some 10 mile long straight up hills here and the 40 has done the job on the couple I have tried so far. I'm just using the 13 gear right now. Ordered a 12 trail gear but they were sold out right now. I'm 220 pounds and I'm getting a steady 33.4 mph on the flat with no pedaling. I did get 35mph once. I have about 75 miles on it right now so its not broke in yet. On most hills it will hold a steady 25 mph up it with no pedaling. It starts up really easy and after the first start of the day it only takes half a pull to start it the rest of the day.
It is louder than the 33 but I can't ***** because it does what the 33 can't.
I have been trying to vary the throttle more this last week to help with the break in and I'm going to just do some straights for the next 50miles for the break in. The cops don't mess with me around here, the worse of it all is the coal trucks here on US 250. That can get a little hairy at times. You just learn to stand your ground and stay right in the center of your lane till you get to a safe spot to were they can go around you. If you stay to the side on certian areas people will just about kill you when passing. If your still thinking about the 40cc and have any questions feel free to ask. I hear there is a big increase around 125 miles or so when the engine starts to break in.
I can't what for that to happen. Matt M in OHIO

RE-Fueling the Robin pics!

I just wanted to let everybody see what I go through to COMPLETELY
fill the tank up.

Now some of this problem is due to where I had to place the engine on the Ross bicycle pictured.
Will be replacing though....too tall for me!

Bama' thats my Dads building & he would have none of that!
He DID provide the piece wood to chock the front tire.

Seriously though, that thing got put together properly by my Dad...not me.
He is a mechanic....& went so far as to grease & replace the ball bearings in the axle so I wouldn't get killed.
The Rossy although a high dollar bike, was not a good fit for the GEBE system.

Starrman15

Extra ring for stability??

Hey Bama' & everyone else.....I have an extra GEBE ring.

Would that strenghen the spokes on the front wheel?

OR the help the rear wheel with the extra tourqe from a more powerful engine (yep, I'm moving up!) by putting it oposite the functioning ring with the belt on it on the rear wheel?

Any input appreciated!
Starrman15

Zip ties is nearly the same as welding the spokes together, and on the back, the chain would scrape the ring....

On the LemonYellow bike I just ordered, I told Paul to put the punctureproof tube AND the Mr. Tuffies on the back, slime in the front.

The weight of those punctureproofs add a bit to the solid feeling on the bike.

And the zip-ties change the feel on the steering immediately.

Hold onto the ring, I'll buy it when you're sure you aren't going to build a second wheel on a more expensive spokesystem, or switch bikes a third time.

Last edited:
Nice Article!

Bama' I read it but he didn't picture how he made the improvment.
He DOES HOWEVER mention noise!
And my Robin is loud!

I did try a similar hose thing & gravity just made it impossible.
I mean the fuel as coming out & filling the front of the tank etc. worked initially.
But the fuel just fell backwards & if I kept it up would just spill out onto the ground.
(but speedway fuel probably belongs there!! HA HA!!)

The few people who get the opportunity to stop me & inquire about the bike set-up say they "hear me coming"!!
So your only "LOUD" when your almost full out!

So this guy is running the Robin probably 3 quarters to full like I am.
Again...AND LET THIS BE READ BY EVERYONE!!
The Robin Subaru 35 cc is a fine engine!
& with help from Bama' & other members it really runs at it's best now.

I have given second thoughts to selling it.
& maybe I won't!
I own it & it is not hurting anything sitting around.

But I personally want MORE POWER!!
Not to necessarily go faster....but to cruise smoother & the power is there when you need it.
(like at a stop light!)

BUT.....anyway, I am going back into the 2-stroke camp.
Definitely looking at the Mitsu engine.
Just can't figure out the fuel tank placement.
Is it moveable like the Tanakas?
Checked out Honda...their engine seems to be on par but no better in performance than the Robin.

BTW, Bettter fuel has stabilized the Robin engine.
Have not had a need for any additives etc.
The little idle adjustment I did & Bama's fuel advice fixed prety much everything.

Well, Thanks again everyone!
Starrman15

On fuel I'm just passing along what I've learned, selling Amoco at Dad's station for 10 years, then specifically as I've motorized these bikes and passed thru what seems like "zones of reliability" in Kansas/Colorado/Oklahoma looking for "the good stuff".

I remember specifically when 91 octane seemed to disappear near Council Grove, Kansas, and since I was climbing into the 3,000 foot altitudes, where dead armadillos were no longer visible, I could feel a slight loss in power. If I lived there, I would have to do that "re-boring the jets" to optimize performance.

Just passing thru, however, I just leaned into the prairie wind and kept on truckin'.

On MB.com I learned new stuff too, like how you can't run 2 cycle gas that has been sitting around for a month, if I have a quart at the bottom of the gas container, I put it in the riding mower and get a fresh supply for the bikes.

Somebody else came up with the F. A. S. problem-solving for performance, Fuel, Air, Spark, and with fuel the simple solution is "buy name brand gas" and avoid ethanol at all costs.

Back