Staton vs GEBE

I have the Staton with the 35 subaru and love it. However, it doesnt take a mechanical engineer to know that there MAY be quite a bit of loss in that gearbox. Even detonator tuning had made comments about it. I would say on the high end maybe 20% loss and if you only have a hp or two to start with that hurts.

I have the Staton with the 35 subaru and love it. However, it doesnt take a mechanical engineer to know that there MAY be quite a bit of loss in that gearbox. Even detonator tuning had made comments about it. I would say on the high end maybe 20% loss and if you only have a hp or two to start with that hurts.

to be fair, the Staton box is VERY well made and the tolerences and alignments are DEAD ON.

my road findings were that up to about 30mph the transfer of power was reasonable and smooth.

it's when you are going much over that, that you start to deal with the weight of the gears, rotational and other losses. if you have 6-10HP you'd never know :devilish:

PS, my experience confirms the 20% loss of speed due to losses using the same motor in the same state of tune.

Last edited:
I think that is highly unlikely,lubricated gears have,an efficiency of 95% plus,typically 98-99 %.So it is quite unlikely that the efficiency of that gearbox is less than 90% (probably about 95%).The fact is that the power requirements above 10mph are increasingly determined by the aerodynamic drag and increase with the square of the speed and above 20mph closer to the third power of speed,to go from 20 to 25 mph requires 70% more power.What you notice is the effect of this,not the decrease of efficiency of the drive train,which does not change much,a few % at the most.

my GEBE setup ran 54.6mph WOT and my Staton never got over 45mph WOT.

BUT, you have to remember that the GEBE was approx. 19.07:1 and the Staton was 18.75:1 and my GP460 is very sensitive to gearing under 19:1 above 8000rpm because the torque is falling fast.

last i looked, 20% off 55 is 44 ?

dui, how's Staton friction drive comapre to Staton gearbox and GEBE?

David Staton once told me that I'd be 100 times more satisfied with his gearbox over his friction drive.

I believe he underrated his friction system.:geek:

dui, how's Staton friction drive comapre to Staton gearbox and GEBE?

David Staton once told me that I'd be 100 times more satisfied with his gearbox over his friction drive.

I believe he underrated his friction system.:geek:

HAHAHA, he told me the same thing when I was looking to get my first friction drive. I am incredibly impressed by them. Not counting wet riding I prefer the staton friction hands down.

I was under the impression that automotive gearboxes soak up 12-15% and are not 90-95% efficient. If each gear is 95% efficient and there are 3 gears to multipy the torque then would that be 15% loss? Just thinking out loud. Im just a backwoods bumpkin but my guesses are usually pretty close. Do they make dynos for engines of this size? Best case scenario I say 10% loss. I would expect about 5-7% from the gebe. I live in the butt crack of gods country and I need something bulletproof and staton fits the bill.

BTW staton is my hero. Im not doggin the staton I fricken love mine but unfortunately im a reallist, cynic and a pessimist all rolled into one. I dont get automatic transmissions on small 4 banger cars because the little bit of hp lost to the parasitic/pumping losses in an auto really hurts performance. Is a 5-7% difference in possible power loss significant enough to worry about? If I had a 25 subaru Id say probably. The larger engines I wouldnt worry as much about. Gotta sacrifice a little bit to the hp gods if you want something that you can depend on.

how's Staton friction drive comapre to Staton gearbox and GEBE?

I think FD is very efficient if it's dialed in with no losses through chains, gears or belts.

Dialed in as properly mounted with the spindle 90 degrees to wheel plane and parallel to the axle, and right roller size, tire air pressure and down pressure on the tire.

The main loss is in tire deflection producing the friction.

Auto gears are helical, which are not as efficient as straight-cut gears. They are, however, quieter...

I've been happy with my friction drive, esp. as I live in AZ, where it rains MAYBE 8-10 inches a year...

Essentially, your only losses are a second set of rolling friction on the driven wheel, plus the two bearings.

Last edited:
Back