Staton vs GEBE

my GEBE setup ran 54.6mph WOT and my Staton never got over 45mph WOT.

BUT, you have to remember that the GEBE was approx. 19.07:1 and the Staton was 18.75:1 and my GP460 is very sensitive to gearing under 19:1 above 8000rpm because the torque is falling fast.

last i looked, 20% off 55 is 44 ?

Steve, at 18.75:1, your 460 engine was highly undergeared. At 45mph, engine rpm was probably around 10,900rpm.

That's equivalent to a 1.567" friction roller.

A Staton 1.5" roller is equivalent to 19.06:1 gear ratio. At 45mph, rpm might be 11,400.

On paper, this looks right for the 460 engine's peak hp/rpm.

In the real world the 1.5" friction roller and 18.75:1 gears are DOGS...especially if your engine is a high-revving screamer and isn't noted for its torque.

I'm going to try a 1.25" roller OR a 13 tooth sprocket on Staton chain drive if I install a 460 engine. That's equivalent to 23.5:1 and 23.08:1, repectively.

That should rev the engine up to 12,155rpm/11,950rpm at 40mph.

At a quick glance, it would SEEM not too much of a difference between the rollers. But look at the equivalency differences between the two. The smaller diameter roller's gearing is 23.5:1; the larger roller is 19.06:1.

Throttle response with the smaller spindle throughout the rpm range is amazing.

With the larger roller, it's blehhh.

There are 2 gears in a typical manual transmission and a hypoid gear in the rear axle differential if there is one (sort of a cros between a worm gear and a normal one).Transmisions are quite efficient,if not the heat generated would be hard to get rid of.Automatic transmissions are less efficient,mainly due to the torque convertor,although with the lockup type prevailing they have been improved,but there still remains the hydraulic system that needs to be powered.I think why Staton is pushing his gearbox is that it is a real moneymaker.He is also deservedly proud of it,no doubt about that.If you live in an area with little rain & no long hills to climb a friction drive has a lot going for it,that's for sure.
As I pointed out before an extra 10% loss of power would translate to a 3-4 % loss of top speed,under OPTIMUM gearing conditions,there is the rub,this implies you have a CVT in the drivetrain to find the sweet spot.The combination of gearing+the torque characteristic of the engine are more salient factors IMO,especially for highly tuned engines like for instance thr GP 460.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back