suspended leaning trike

i have been on 3 short rides recently(2-4 miles each) and have had no problems. i wish i had a tachometer. anyone know of a tach for a 4 stroke single with a cdi? i am still thinking over the steering change. i'm real sure it can be greatly improved, i just hesitate to tear into it when its been good enough. the manual i down loaded says to break the motor in as follows. 106mi at 17mph max 532mi at 20mph max 1066mi at 23mph max. all i can think is that the atv that this motor is meant for is alot lower geared. after break in, it will get a gearing change.

My boss would say, "ride it like you stold it". But seriously, as you noted, their mph is not related to what you are doing. Throw the guarantee out the window and do what seems right. Vary the speed, 15 seconds at any particular rpm, until the oil change doesn't have a metalic look. Then ride it like you stole it.
Is your concern with the steering that it takes a lot of effort to turn?

its speed related. any turn in the video took very little effort, if you have seen that. if at speed in a corner a car were suddenly to pull out, i would have no choice but to hit the brakes hard. thats not a huge problem because the brakes work so well. i just want to have the option of steering tighter into the turn(to swerve at speed). it resists a sudden jerk to the side at speed. its a safety plus 99.9% of the time. it makes you drive sensable. i think i can replace the outrigger steering with a dual crank and chain setup that will give me a large mechanical advantage, the lean would control the steer(now its more steer controled) and the lean would be natural. lean on left crank to go left with body lean and weight shift being automatic. but in the mean time i have 4 more windows to put in and daylight is burning. later.

Well, I hope you get 'er figured out. My brief research into leaning trike building left me with the impression that noone has resolved the issue of making it a "natural" feeling. I'm rooting for you.

thanks Van, i am begining to feel motivated to do the steering redo. but first the rest of my windows. 3 to go.

Well, I hope you get 'er figured out. My brief research into leaning trike building left me with the impression that noone has resolved the issue of making it a "natural" feeling. I'm rooting for you.

I believe Staton carries the Sendec hour/tach that'll work on it. They work with almost anything with a spark plug. The pickup wire gets wrapped around the spark plug wire 3-4 turns, then secured with a tie-wrap. The pics below are from sendec's site.

Attachments

• wiring%20pic_gmbh_nb_200x244.jpg
    wiring%20pic_gmbh_nb_200x244.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 406
  • inductive_surface_hookup_580x428.jpg
    inductive_surface_hookup_580x428.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
thanks Loquin, i'll check that out right now. emailed them to ask the readout hight. i want to be able to easily read it at 32" and 30mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
From this drawing at Sendec's site, it appears that the LCD panel opening is apx. 3/8" in height, which would make the numbers about 1/4 inch high.

the sendec PN is 805-100-0222, which means:

805 = 2-hole, Mini Case size
100 = Inductive input, hours and tach
0222 = Counts to 9,999.9 hours, tenths resolution, Tachometer 1:1

Attachments

• two%20hole%20a_580x296.jpg
    two%20hole%20a_580x296.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
thanks again Loquin, i just got off Sendec's site. it looks like all of thier tachs have .200 numeral higth. sitting here at my computer that seems more than enough.

I have a Sedec unit on my trike. It died during the fall when it got wet. It had already told me about what rpms I was turning at particular mph. I feel like it did it's job.

Back