Swedish military bike

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jol, May 9, 2007.

1. jol

jol Guest

My wery own thread, progress and such will be presented here :)

2. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

hi jol...welcome. if you need a hand with any of our features, feel free to get in touch 8)

3. azbill

azbill Active Member

hmmm, didn't I see this in another place !!! haha
    it's like deja vu all over again :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. spunout

spunout Member

Welcome jol! :)

5. jol

jol Guest

Yeah I posted here first: http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=417 thinking I could post the second directly after with the links and pics, but it still said I had to wait.

Anyways this is me and I'll be motoring this bike:
    http://surl.se/pictures/20075/43508.jpg
    It's a Swedish military bike with a mountainbike front wheel. I guess I got a bubble in the rear rubber since I feel a bump, gonna replace both inner and outer rubbers from the original front wheel (it wobbled too much to use or repair).

I have plans for:
    *8-speed mountainbike rear wheel setup to reach those high speeds and good torque (yes, will wear helmet at the testing)
    *Full-flow silencer to both raise airflow and keep noise down
    *Another air filter to allow higher airflow and keep the filtering good
    *Bore up the jet to match the new air capacities

A friend had just bored up his with a 1mm drill (100 in jet size?), removed the tube in the silencer and well...it was his that made me want one :grin:

Have lubed up the bearings today and drilled for the accel cable, looked at some scrap lying around for exhaust material aswell

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

jol, i moved your post here so you wouldn't get lost at the end of someone else's topic.

i'm not sure what the problem is with the "upload picture"...your admin-profile says you're good to go, & since i see you can now post url's i'm guessing the pics should work too...have you tried making sure to resize pics to maximum 600 wide before uploading?

keep me posted, please.

7. jol

jol Guest

Guess it was me thinkin a day has passed when it hadn't :)

8. nashe

nashe Guest

Hola, Jol!

Lotta' new folks here this week. I can barely keep up!
    The Good Word must be spreading ..

Or gas prises are risin'. :evil:

Well .. whatever your motives are, welome to the forum! :D :D

9. psuggmog

psuggmog Guest

jol, welcome to the forum, it good to meet someone who knows what an old sow is.

10. jol

jol Guest

The bike
    [​IMG]

The box
    [​IMG]

boxes
    [​IMG]

Transmission, lube and secure threads with loctite
    [​IMG]

you usually need to grind down the weld to make the connection air-tight. I used a 19mm outer 14mm inner oring seal, pushed into the carb.
    [​IMG]

the weld around the flange had a leak
    [​IMG]

I used automotive coolant hose to remove some of the vibration
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had to bend out the pedal a bit to make it clear
    [​IMG]

needed to lathe out the center hole to 45 mm diameter
    [​IMG]

not very port-matched exhaust
    [​IMG]

nor intake
    [​IMG]

problems I've had:
    top flange on the carb broke, used the oring to fix that
    magneto was installed backwards inside out, making the motor ignite at the bottom dead centre :)
    half coil plug stayed on the plug when I removed it once
    the gas tanks reserve is the same as it's on, since there is no straw inside the petcock
    the controls wont fit my curvy handlebar

planning to rebuild the intake and exhaust, aswell as the controls

feel free to steal the pics for educational purposes as long as I'm credited :)

11. jol

jol Guest

It's easy for me to upload a .zip with all the pictures at another gallery instead of using a form for each single file, and I use the pics at other forums aswell... but you could download the ones you need and save them locally.

I went to the garage to measure the cylinder ports, ended up replacing the clutch lever with a smaller 3-speed lever with lock function and everything! :cool: What was not cool was that it came loose from its clamp, but some welding will solve it I guess.

Also checked out the travel of my brake lever to use as throttle, think I'm 1-2mm from "throttle WOT" at "lever WOT" :) Might build some lever to fix it.

pics still in my phone, will update later on

12. srdavo

srdavo Active Member

excellent post, Jol. true ...someone needs to work on the intakes & exhausts... keep us posted as you progress.

13. jol

jol Guest

14. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Following the progrss and it is coming along nicely.

The mismatch on the intake will not impact performance as bad as the mismatched exhaust. Or so I think.
    Many are running well with no issue.

15. jol

jol Guest

Yeah it's running ok, but why not better? :)

16. OldPete

OldPete Guest

There is no best only better. :grin:
    The Chinese engines need some break-in time. So ride it before your early Winter sets in. :eek:

17. jol

jol Guest

Hehe I've got atleast five more months before the snow falls (and the bimmer gets its icestuds :evil:)

Fixed the mount for the clutch, the weld looks like poo on the pic but isn't, will be strong enough atleast :cool: (MIG weld btw).
    [​IMG]

The car ignition lead, I'll relocate the cdi to either behind or below the engine for looks. Also the car carb gas filter, no worrying about paint in the carb. Brothers tractor stuff in the rear.
    [​IMG]

The new drumbrake-front wheel, wrong green but the same 28" baloon style as the rear
    [​IMG]

btw good form to upload pics, guess I'll use it from now on when I don't update with many pics at once

18. jol

jol Guest

Some progress
    [​IMG]

Added the kill switch, making me able to keep rolling with the engine off
    [​IMG]

My new throttle, a slim bike brake lever shortened :)
    [​IMG]

Also added some more rubber between the frame and the engines front to raise it up a bit, to get more pedal clearance.

19. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Are there plans for a new paint job and if so, what color?

Dan

20. jol

jol Guest

Nah, in fact think I'm gonna sell it in favor for my other projects