Tanaka PF-3300 V-Belt Drive w/Power Pipe

@Deleted Member 4613,
I use front v-brakes only on this bike & another of my MB's (friction drive) & 2 of my pedal road bikes.
My other MB has two disc brakes & stops better.
This bike being lighter & slower still has excellent stopping power with just one well set up front v-brake. There is also a fair degree of engine braking before the centrifugal clutch disengages. On road going vehicles, front brakes do most of the braking due to weight shifting forward upon braking. I previously had a rim-to-rim pulley front drive & was still able to mount a v-brake on it (just enough clearance).
-Lowracer-

It's just my opinon, but a smaller sheave that leaves room a v brake makes more sense to me, but you're the inventor. It's your choice.

I've been putting on the mileage lately & have noticed very different fuel economy readings.
When I was doing the break-in, I didnt take it up to WOT at all & just basically cruised around & returned 190 mpg's.
Yesterday, I took it out for a 92 mile work day & did run it at WOT some of the time but not all the time & returned 157 mpg's.
Today I took it out again for a long haul on faster roadways & has to run it at WOT most of the 76 miles just to keep from getting blown by at ludicrous speed differentials & got 131 mpg's.
-lowracer-

Hey Lowracer... That makes sense....Cruizin at WOT is not good for mileage..:D Cool ride!!...Btw.. Im going to build a V belt direct drive using your design on a tandem Schwinn from the 60's with a little Echo 23CC thats been ported and a expansion chamber..The little motor looks trick!! I love your belt drive.......:unsure:

Little Thumper,
Thanks bro.
You will like the v-belt drive. Its very efficient, reliable, smooth & clean.
I have loads of miles on 2 of them now & no worriesd about belt replacement. I'll bet I'll never need to replace the belts.
-Lowracer-

5-7,
Thanks for the kind words.
This hobby sure is addicting & makes 'cents' as gas prices keep increasing.
At first I built one for just fun & the occasional trip to the post office or to grab a burrito.
Now I've built & have 3 & use them on nicer weather days to replace the car & do my job.
It sure does change a boring day into an adventure being out on the motorbike. At the places I stop, also makes for quite the conversation piece.
I'm having fun...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

• IMG-20120309-00010.jpg
    IMG-20120309-00010.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 383
5-7,
My favorite by a longshot is 'The Beast'.
In the previous pic, its the full suspension Rocky Mountain RM7 downhill MTB with the front mounted Pocketbike stage 2 cag engine. It feels & rides more like a small motorcycle than it does an MB.
Downhill MTB's are the way to go for an MB project.
-Lowracer-

Back