The Bike Paint Thread!

Discussion in 'Painting, Welding, Bending and Gas Tanks' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Well, I just got my hands on a 1962 Schwinn and the condition of the paint is pretty bad. It's been sprayed over with some crappy wretched orange spray paint, but I can see it chipping off and the original paint underneath.

How can I remove the spray paint without destroying the paint underneath?

And if the paint underneath is too mashed up to save, then I'm willing to strip it down and figure out where to go from there. I would strip it down using aircraft stripper. I figure my options from there would be.

1. Rustoleum primer, paint, and topcoat. (Cheapest and shoddiest).
    2. Car primer, paint, and topcoat. (A step up?)
    3. Getting it powdercoated by a friend of a friend (probably the best).

Anybody have any good experience or advice for somebody who's never done this before?

Edit: Attach picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008

2. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Well, I'm no expert here but I have taken rattle can off of original paint to some degree of success. The old paint, though it looks good, is still old paint with patina, chips, etc.
    This is a very slow and time consuming process, but if you are patient, it can be done. Honestly, If you're looking to make it look all shiney and new I would recommend powder coat- it is relatively cheap, and hard as nails when done properly. I can go through the process I used to save the original paint (with ball and claw points and pinstriping) on the 1950 Columbia, if you really want to save the paint on the Schwinn...
    Which, by the way, is pretty darn sweet- a great base to start a motoredBike project!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  3. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

A paint job with Rustoleum is only shoddy if one does shoddy work. Done correctly, it can produce very nice results. The main thing that causes problems is laziness and hurrying. If you do a complete repaint- sand, sand, sand- prime, sand, prime many times? Good question- as many times as it takes to get a perfect surface (spot putty won't hurt). Before top coat, make sure the primer is completely cured- notice I did not say "dried" something may be dry in hours, but it may not have cured for days or weeks. When you topcoat- coat, let cure, wet sand coat...repeat until perfect. The Rustoleum is not the problem.
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

This guy knows what he's doing....thanks Sheik.
    BTW...annoying user name.Every time i see it i start singing,shake shake shake/shake shake shake...........i think u know the rest. :)
  5. I've sprayed my bikes flat black with some rustoleum. I touch it up as needed but usually all the dirt and sht from the road has done a decent enough job concealing my sub par painting skills.
  6. Hollywood

Hollywood Guest

Powdercoating by far is the best way go.
  7. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

You could try the spray on oven cleaner,it will remove the paint but you would have to time everything so that you don't also soften up the original paint. This would be messy and very hard to do and in the end you may end up with spots needing touch up. It could be that the bike was not sanded before it was painted and you could get lucky.
    On the other hand if you were to sandblast and powder coat, you would have a bike with a paintjob that will outlast you.
  8. foyeburger

foyeburger Guest

powdercoat is the wayto go. i just took my frame over to them and they sandblasted it and powdercoated it for about 100 bucks expensive but it comes out real nice check into it in your area see what you can find out . also they have diffrent colors not just black ! larry ca

Attached Files:

9. will_start

will_start Member

my 2Cents on painting.

I like the idea of a proper spray job, and have read through the above.

I attacked my bike with Black Metal paint, which was the worst idea.

Two months later in the middle of Australian summer, and the paint had still
    not dried in places. Every time I rode it, I would end up with black paint on
    myself somewhere.

I liked the idea of making parts of the engine/bike shiny like chrome,
    ( I like shiny)
    so I bought chrome paint, which I applied here and there.
    Only to have it flake off or look grimy, dull and never shiny.

Watch those degreasers too they'll remove paint...

I then went for some artists gold paint for wheels and back end of frame.

And Hi-Temp black for the motor.
    the wheel wore off the gold, but it look interestings.

Its a work in progress, and when I get bored, I add a bit
    more paint here and there.

10. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

hey 62 schwinn buddy!

heres what i can tell you- powdercoating is truly the best, and there are a wide range of colors to choose from, you dont have to do any prep work, simply take it apart and hand it off to the guy... thats all well and good, but from your previous project it seems like you like to do things on your own.

because im stuck in the past, i really really really like patina so my 62 schwinn was coated in a lovely shade of drab from the air force base where it sat for years. im in the process of fabbing up a custom board track style frame for my whizzer

i happen to have access to a blast cabinet, it makes life a zillion times easier.

follow that guide and you'll have have something beautiful!

first picture is of the bike, the second picture is some stuff i painted!

Attached Files:

11. I called some powdercoaters today, and they all refused to do such a small project. I figure rattle can is where it's at right now. I'll make a few more phone calls tomorrow before deciding.
  12. graucho

graucho Active Member

Everyone will have a different opinion. I doubt the bike will be mint if the paint is removed, unless a Pro tries it. Otherwise it depends on this... how much cash do you have for steps 1, 2, or 3
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  13. cooltoy

cooltoy Member

Geez, that bothers me Sheik. People can be such jerks these days. Having worked at a paint shop I understand what the problem is. To paint the part only takes two minutes but to set up the gun, to find the box of powder and to clean the gun after using it is were the problem is. I guess you could say that the boss sees it as a $100 waste of time. If on the other hand, you showed up at the door and was willing to go with a colour they were using that day, I'd think you could get lucky. What a pain eh?
  14. Well, I got the attention of a gent down in Kentucky who said he'd do it black for 30 bucks for the entire frame. I need to get it sandblasted first, though. I see the total cost coming to near 70 bucks for the entire frame, which to me is totally worth it. Expect pretty pictures soon!
  15. uncle_punk13

uncle_punk13 Guest

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pic.s!
  16. lobsterboyx

lobsterboyx Guest

see if you cant find any hot rod shops in the area, i know if someone came in to the shop where i worked, id be more than happy to let them blast in my cab
  17. I'm thinking I might chemically strip it instead to save me some cash. I already bought the aircraft stripper. Would I scuff it when I'm done to give the powdercoating something to adhere to or just sand it smooth?
  18. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Thanks for the tip Lobster, there'a hot rod shop on my way home, I've often wondered if they do a bike.

Sheik. You are having entirely too much fun.:)
  19. It's moved from hobby to obsession pretty quick.