The Inaugural Electric Bicycle Race

Yes I don't think the market for them has stabilized in Western countries. In the main place where they are actually used, China, their niche is well-established. They're for people who want cheap, reliable, short range transport with easy parking, that you won't sweat too much riding. Everywhere else seems to have an attitude that these things should cost the earth, and if they don't they aren't worth having. I personally see that as a strange Western affectation, which I don't share. I especially don't see the point in buying some carefully styled Euro brand which always seem to turn out to be 100% Chinese in manufacture, apart from the advertising material, and ten times the cost.

I don't ride one because I particularly care about the environment. If I did, I really should sell the V8 Lexus and the overboosted turbo MR2. It's more because they're cheap, fun, good healthy exercise, and famously reliable. As a form of transport, I actually don't "need" it at all. If I commuted, I might use it, but I work from home.

Attempting to make it a more capable machine is a hobby, an intellectual exercise, as I'm sure most of the projects on this site are. Most people would be better off spending their time, from a purely financial viewpoint, working to earn money to buy a better one. But that would miss the point entirely.

As for racing them, I'd bet it would be hobbyists and 'big' manufacturers who would dominate the early days. After a while, the hobbyists would be outcompeted. If it takes off, that is. Otherwise it could always belong to hobbyists. I'm not sure if that would be a bad thing.

In the very beginning I started off with the idea of building a cheap and affordable product to replace oil, but since that niche has already been filled by the little Chinese scooter bikes there's no point in going back to that.

That's why I realized that the thing here is to invent something that handles really well and that would inspire people to actually enjoy being on the ebikes more and that would expand things faster.

People would rather convert because feel they are getting something fun than to beat themselves up over something abstract like carbon emissions. Guilt is a lousy motivator compared to desire because negative emotions tend to depress people overall and that slows them down. If people can see something attractive coming their way they will get excited and energized to take action.

So from the obvious psychological standpoint excitement and pleasure is better than guilt and punishment as a tool for change.

Diets tend to fail... but fat people that take up hobbies that make them excercise tend to succeed... it's all human nature.

Last edited:
It's an angle I totally agree with. I think the same thing goes for electric cars. If they made them more sexy by actually making ones that have some decent performance (albeit on a shorter range), they might sell the idea a whole lot better.

So getting back to that old battery limited vs motor limited debate... if people generally respond better to sexy cars and bikes and lot's of action then that favors the motor power limiting side of the argument since that tends to encourage more of it.

The funny thing is that I actually talked long and hard with the promoter of the Portland International Raceway event and even went through the details of how the limiting circuit ought to behave and then he turns around and does the exact opposite. I was simply shocked.

But the reason (apparently) is that a lot of the people now are into things like hub motors and regenerative braking/recharging. So in their vision of the sport people would gradually roll on the power up to about halfway down the straight away and then switch to regen and coast the whole second half of the straight away until they enter the turn at very slow speeds. With no limits on the motor power (big 25 lb hub motors) they could actually reach peak power levels of more than a horsepower if it made sense.

For electric bikes to succeed there needs to be some sex appeal added to it... and that means excitement and a hint of danger. Races that involve long stretches of gentle coasting (regen braking) are not much fun to watch or to race in.

Last edited:
I do apologise if someone has said something already that I am about to say, but hey I will say it anyway. I have had four Steinlagers.

I don't care who wins any race. It is about driving the technology forward and creating publicity and interest.

This is why I chose the categories below. Any suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

I will explain why each cat exists in-between each

1. Quarter Mile . Unlimited Category except you must be able to pedal one km on the flat non-stop to prove it is a cycle within a time as yet undecided.

This cat was chosen to entice the public and allow the crazies to participate. It will provide a spectacle. I also think it will drive fitness as pedaling such a machine 1 or 2 km to qualify will sort the men from the boys.

2. 20k under 20k. The first to reach 20km where the total cycle weight = less than 20kg. This leads to different cats, see 3.

This is my favorite cat. Under 20kg is a nice bike to ride. This cat has pedals that are allowed to be used so it is a rider driven race with technology base. Think horse racing meets formula 1

3. as 2 but with no pedals and rider weight calc and rebalance.

The pedals are removed and the rider's weight is equalised. This is a truly technology based race.

4. as 2 but costs less than $1K NZD.

This race is designed to bring cost effective performance to the masses.

5. First to 100km with less than 25kg cycle.

This is a fitness and a performance race with no stops allowed.

6. First to 500km with less than 30kg cycle.

This race is about clever and light recharge. You can stop and recharge but you must carry your own recharger. The point of this race is to encourage fast recharge.

I hope you get what I mean and are keen for the world race.

I look forward to losing

"All I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power....................."

My favourite saying by the same author, particularly apt to this thread:

"O Lord, please help me to meet this self-imposed and totally unnecessary challenge!"
-Ashleigh Brilliant

Odds are you will get about a dozen people to show up for a race.

When they get there you will need to run the race with what shows up.

So I would keep things to a minimum....

Do the Quarter mile race to let the power freaks win something.

Do the 20Km to do a longer race.

---------------------------------

100K and 500K are likely not going to get anyone to the finish line
unless a real cycling athelete shows up.

Other things being equal, the cyclists are going to win easily over the untrained. They could have several hundred watts advantage over the course of the race. It's also likely that they themselves will be lighter, if they are in good condition.

Fuzzo,

How would you ride 500km on an electric bike with total weight less than 30kg?

How would you do it SAFE?

If there was no wind and the ground was flat it would take me around 16 hours and as many beers.

Last edited:
Back