Things to look for in a bike.

Don't drill a hole in the frame to mount the motor, order a front mount from sick bike parts. I have both a Schwinn Landmark and a Huffy Cranbrook. Say what you want about the Schwinn but I've been pulling an Aosom large trailer loaded with a Kamp-Rite oversize tent cot, a two person kayak and about another 100 pounds of supplies all over with no problems.

I don't want to drill in the frame at all. Just seems like a terrrible idea long term. I'm going to go like at a bike shop that sells used bikes after work today.

The kit I bought says that you can use extra long bolts with the spacer on thicker bars. Anyone tried this instead of drilling in the frame?

As far as walmart bikes, the cranbrook I did see, and it looks nice...but looks like it would be hard to mount an engine on. Do you need to drill for that frame?

i kinda get how they work. but i was more wondering how they perform. what do people think of them, do they work well, do they add to the performance...?

You should not need to drill in the frame,but I would go to a hardwear store and get
better and longer bolts.The bolts and nuts in the engine kits are poor.

Just went to the bike store and looked at their used bikes...bare minimum they start at $150, $200 for any made in the last 10 years...

Not really willing to spend that much. Might just buy the cranbrook for $89.99.

Found a guy on craigslist with a Giant Boulder mountain bike about my size that's less than these walmart bikes. Planning to go see him tomorrow.

Any ideas about this bike?

the one I have is OK

I have an old Giant frame that I modified so that it has a track type drop outs. I set it up with a derailleur hanger off the right side so I can put my eight speed set up and not have to use a idler pulley (I have had bad luck with them in the past)

I like steel frames because I can do something with them.

mike

gaint frame

Well, the quality from what I have seen has been pretty good but its like buying a Ford it can be a GT40 or a Pinto there both Fords but at different ends of the spectrum. Giant builds a decent quality bike but just because its got a Giant sticker doesn't mean it the right one for you. As for me, all I bought was the frame and i did not keep it stock. I also had to get a Sick Bike Part adapter so my engine would fit on the oversized tubes.

I like the welds on the frame. They look like top quality workmanship. The reason I got the frame was It was a really good price. Problem was that the bottom bracket was rusted in so tight that it broke my BB tool, so I wound up paying more than I thought. Even with that It wasn't that bad of a deal.

mike

Last edited:
Back