thoughts for a fuel tank

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by wayde, Jan 25, 2008.

1. wayde

wayde Guest

i was thinking of making my own fuel tank, does any one knoe if gas will eat through abs(black plastic) pipe or it's glue cause with the right fittings you could make a mean looking tank

2. Plastic gas tank

Hi Wayde, I dunno exactly what he used, but as I disassemble the blue Whizzer (it's still raining here), I'll look and see if the tank is ABS or PVC. my customer made the tank at least 6 mo ago, and it's not disolving.

Mike

3. wayde

wayde Guest

that'd be cool thanks

4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

It's an excellent idea to know how to make your own fuel tank...i too would be interested in any peeps comments,particularly those who have done it in ABS/PVC...or however.

5. wayde

wayde Guest

i figure you could use elbows tee's all sorts it could make pretty cool tank

6. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

moved out of the BICYCLE forum...

7. wayde

wayde Guest

sorry about the placement aug, any input on the topic though

8. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

sorry, i don't...but i'll be watching and hopefully learning something new with this topic :)

9. wayde

wayde Guest

well i put a shotr piece of abs together with two caps after filling with gas so now all i can do is sit and wait to see i'll keep you all posted

10. ABS melts, PVC does not.

ABS will dissolve in gasoline. PVC will not. I've been trying to come up with a tank to fit under my banana seat, so I just researched that. Pipes are tough to mount and make aesthetically nice. Thought about using a small fire extinguisher too. I'd prefer a box of some kind but it's not worth the time/expense to fabricate one and have yet to find one I can adapt.

11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

@capturedbyrobots
    Very good,is it heavy? .....just dreaming here but it would be great if the pressure gauge worked as a fuel gauge.
    BTW...i think we have the same tail light...i have a Yamaha XT 600 but i put a Yamaha 1100 tail light on for better visibility...yours looks the same.

12. Maybe they use the same, but the taillight is from the donor
    scooter for that project (1989 Yamaha Jog)

The tank is not that heavy, but yeah, no gauge.
    I just had a cool idea. I might do a tricky gauge
    which would have a float attached to a straightened coat hanger.

The hanger would go thru a hole at the top
    of the cap (vent) and would go up or down dependent
    upon how much gas is in the tank.

****, got another new project....

13. sjacome

sjacome New Member

cubans ride mb a long while do to gas restriction/embargo, they call it riquimbili, they even do races with them, and they use plastic soda bottles 4 tanks as they are ligther than steel tanks!